Bearded dragon being really grumpy

Status
Not open for further replies.
My beardie is about 2ish years old. I adopted him maybe a month or two ago and he was being nice for a while. He let me hold him once and other times I'll pet him and talk to him every day but he's been increasingly irritatable lately. He's never bitten anyone but today he tried to bite me and I like to pet him before he goes to bed and take his left over salad out and he almost bit me the second my hand went in the tank

MsCarter

Juvie Member
It definitely sounds like this guy has some adjusting to do. I'm assuming he didn't receive a lot of human interaction at his old home? Good new is with time and lots of patience you can have a really good companion in him.
Just move very slow. You want to show him you are no threat to him and slowly earn his trust. Chances are when he first let you hold him he was in a new home with a new owner and too focused on all of that to care. Now that he's more settled in your seeing the aggressive side.

Continue talking to him once in awhile throughout the day. Also make sure the traffic (other animals and family members) walking past his cage throughout the day is at a minimum for now. At least once a day you can simply stick your hand in his cage without actually touching him just for him to see. leave it there for a few minutes unless he freaks out, than do not remove your hand until he calms down (you don't want to reinforce that behavior). Do this for a week or two, or whenever you believe he is comfortable with it, than bump it up a notch and begin petting him. You will want to do this a few times a day until he's completely comfortable with it as well. *side note* never approach him from above, always allow him to see you coming.

Once you can successfully do all of this you can begin picking him up in his enclosure for a few minutes until you believe he's comfortable enough to be taking out. Another thing you can do is to take him out when he's sleepy (right before lights out) when's he's in a calmer state and try to bond with him than. You can also use feeding time as bonding time. Allow him to see you placing his insects in his Viv so that he will begin to see you as the "hand that feeds him"

Stay patient and don't give up. Your guy will eventually come around in time. Keep us updated and let us know when you begin to see improvements. Wishing you the best

DigitalJackal

Original Poster
The thing is he's already started warming up to me and oddly he's letting me pet him again but lately it's been roulette. Will he bite me or let me pet him? But thank you I'll try to be patient with him it just scares me. I'm not used to this. He's my first bearded dragon and he's full grown and even his former owner says he's a butt

MsCarter

Juvie Member
He could just be a moody turd. While I would love to sit here and tell you that they are all sweethearts 24/7 that would be a lie. They are all unique with their own little personalities. My dragon has moments where she just wants me to leave her alone and will let me know very quickly. She's known to hiss when she's mad. I just know her so I have learned to slowly and easily pet her until she's calm than I give her space and try again later. This usually works when she's in a bad mood. I pet her until she stops to show her that behavior will not help her get her way and once she calms down than I'll go away lol. But you can definitely try all of the other things and see what works best for him and what progress you can make.

In the mean time, can you tell us a little about your setup? Temps, UVB lighting and all of that good stuff. I probably should've asked about this first just to be sure it's nothing minor going on that could be stressing him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom