Bearded dragon at monarch butterfly??

Azymondias&Ryn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I was taking my bearded dragon out for his regular stroll in my backyard and a butterfly fell out of the tree above us. My dragon instantly went after it and bit a wing. I manage to get the butterfly and 3/4 of the wings out but he ate half of one. I know monarchs are toxic, Is this a problem? What do I do?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry for the delayed response. He should be ok, but, if you can get some activated charcoal,
you can give some of that for a dose or two.
If you can't get that, you can always get some parsley, cilantro, basil, mint & oregano & blend it
up into a paste with water or just give some fresh. It can help bind any toxins.
Is he acting ok, no black beard?

Tracie

Azymondias&Ryn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hello,

Sorry for the delayed response. He should be ok, but, if you can get some activated charcoal,
If you can't get that, you can always get some parsley, cilantro, basil, mint & oregano & blend it
up into a paste with water or just give some fresh. It can help bind any toxins.

Tracie
I thought I replied but it didn’t send- Anyways, I gave him some cilantro, water, and some food. There was one day where he was being easily spooked and had darker colors but returned to normal the next day. He’s doing fine now, thank you for the information!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is perfectly fine!
I am happy to hear he is doing well now & hasn't had any other issues. They can be so fast & there
isn't much time to react to avoid something like that.
Thanks for the update!

Tracie

addy wolf

Beardie name(s)
aaron
Hello,

Tracie
My bearded dragon ate a whole monarch butterfly, would this work for that?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How are things going with your dragon? She ate an entire monarch butterfly?
Let us know how she is doing. You can give activated charcoal for several doses,
a few days apart, if needed.

Tracie

jtaylor

In this situation, it is a concern that your bearded dragon has ingested part of a butterfly, especially if it is a monarch, which can be toxic. You should watch your dragon closely for any signs of distress or unusual behavior. It is very important to see a reptile vet as soon as possible. They will be able to provide you with specific advice and treatment options based on your bearded dragon's individual circumstances. It is also possible to familiarize yourself with the symptoms and rules of care in more detail. You can also turn to advanced writers to research the care of bearded dragons and their possible medical problems.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom