Bearded Dragon always Hiding But Eating Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omen666

Hey guys
I bought a Beadie 1 week ago and i had some problems with the lighting (had a mega-ray SB 160 watts 120 volts
in a 50 gal tank) now i have a heating lamp and a repti-glo 10.0 Basking temps at cold side is at 29 degrees,
basking temp is 38-40 degrees, i have the UV on the cold side of the tank with a branch going up to reach the
UV tube 6-8 inches (i know Repti-glo sucks). The problem im having is that his not basking under le heat light
nor the UVB tube he just stays under his Basking rock all day and doesnt move from there.When its time to eat
he comes out and eats normaly then he goes back on hiding lol im so lost i feed him 2 times a day plus veggies
every other day try to keep 80% crickets 20% veggie (hes around 5-6 months old).Hes pooping every
1 or sometimes 2 days also. My opininon i think hes scared or either stressed. i dont know what to do

squirell

Hatchling Member
Your temps seem about right. The Reptiglo 10 is not a good bulb it can cause eye problems. Almost everyone here recommends Reptisun 10.0 state side not sure of the name of the UK brand that is its equal. It most likely is relocation stress though if he is new to his new environment. You could take the hide out and see how that goes. They need to get UVB and be able to bask to digest their food. Do his poops looked digested or are does there look to be undigested feeders in there?

Omen666

Original Poster
His Poo looks okay. i know the bulb is crap i just needed something to replace my mega-ray cuz it was too strong for him this is temp. ill try to remove
the hiding spot maybe that will help. its been at least 4 days hes been acting like that. one time i saw him under the scott towles and somtimes hes under
his basking rock, and yesterday he was under his little wood arc. he looks very responsive and active when we take him out my friend told me maybe
his just not used to all the new environment. how long would he take to adapt?

Omen666

Original Poster
Alright I took out all the hiding spots possible and waited 10 mins. He ran to the glass and started rubbing
his nose on the side glass left right (were the UVB lamp is) i guess he was seeing his reflextion and at the
end he stuck up vertacly on the front corner under that same side and didnt move his stomic was completly
flat on the front of the tank glass and he just stood up and didnt move from there. i dont know if hes
scared of the reflections of him self or something is bothering him i think in there

ClydesGirl

Sub-Adult Member
Have you tried just turning off the ReptiGlo? If there is something wrong with the bulb, maybe that's why he's hiding. He can go without UVB for a few days while you work on getting a better bulb. If you live in the UK, the best bulb available there is the Arcadia 12%.

Omen666

Original Poster
I had the Mega-ray before the Repti-glo and he was still doing the same thing im pretty sure its not the
UV Hes not basking nor going in the UV

squirell

Hatchling Member
Thanks for the name of that bulb Clydesgirl had a total brainfart. You could also try taping up some cardboard or dark paper on the outsides of the enclosure to make it harder to see his reflection. Seeing his reflection could also be causing the stress to occur.

<edit> as for how long the stress could take it all depends on the individual dragon. Mine was only the first few days I had him. I've read some post that say it lasted as long as a month or longer.

Omen666

Original Poster
Yea i was reading about that reflection problem i might do that also could i do it with white paper scott
towles or only dark black paper? i hope this fixes the issue cuz he looks really scared. i know his stomic isnt
white also theres like black lines and circles under it. signs of stress??? or just how it is??

squirell

Hatchling Member
Yea those would be stress marks. Do his stress marks go away when you have him out of his Viv for a little while or bathing? You could try to bring him out into the sun for a little bit and see how he responds to natural UVB. Also how are you measuring your temps?

Omen666

Original Poster
The marks stay on him all the time even when his out, and im mesuring the temp with a temp gun.
i tryed to bring him outside one time and i had him in my palm and he tryed to run away he was super
nervouse and i was like juggleing him in my palms of my hands he was really scared or just trying to run away

squirell

Hatchling Member
Hmmm. It might take him a little time to get comfortable. I put mine outside in a rubbermaid bin with a screen on top so he can soak up some rays and not be able to run off. I would have to say is just give him some time. He is eating and alert so thats a good thing.

Omen666

Original Poster
alright ill try this reflection blocking, and see how it goes and ill try to put him back outside for a lil bit,
should i put like picture wallpaper the tank or just like card board or can i use white paper also?

squirell

Hatchling Member
Picture backround or just a flat color works. Just try to get it so there isnt much of a reflection as best you can.

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
I just wanted to point out that the UVB should span at least 3/4 of the tank so he can get UVB and heat all in the same place. From your description it sounds like he has to choose between the two. So i would mount it across the back, overlapping the basking bulb. This way his eyes will be protected from the harsh UVB. (and UVB is harsh on their eyes, which is why we recommend mounting them next to bright white heating bulbs)

Omen666

Original Poster
I know its not about the UV lamp Nor the Basking lamp he looks depressed HIDING from Light under the rock
not moving at all he doest even think of basking or going to the UV at all 12 hours of shade witch is not
healthy at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom