BD in backyard

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello. i just joined and i need some help my aunt will not let me have a lizard especially not a bearded dragon in her house she says i can keep it...if it lives in the backyard with its own cage. im worndering is that safe will it kill my bearded dragon she also says i can keep it in garage.Once again in a cage now i have heard of people making habitats in there back yard but she wont let me do that either im wondering can i really put a bearded dragon habitat in the backyard lamp and everything or in a garage. the garage is not insulated or anything and i dont want it to die suffering from to low a temprature or to hot of tempratures and definaty getting stressed out in the backyard where there is cats. that would just drive the poor guy mad :cry: .im wondering is there anything i can do or should i try again at a later time in my life? :? i really need some help i dont want to do anything bad to the lizard i wanna be ready before i buy him.

TASTIGER

Extreme Poster
An outdoor enclousure is probly not the best idea there are all kinds of natural predators that will do anything to get a free meal.
how cold does your garage get? if it gets super cold then its probably best to wait till later in life when you can keep them in the house at a stable temp

zXEmOxBeaRXz

Original Poster
i dunno how cold the garage gets but the garage would keep the cats away from it same for the possum and coon but temperature wise i am not shure.

TASTIGER

Extreme Poster
meby get a thermometer and put it out and see how cold it gets at night and how hot it gets during the day. If your garage is anything like mine it will get super cold at night and really hot during the day.

zXEmOxBeaRXz

Original Poster
ill s what i can do but before that happens i need to clean it out before then i was just wondering if both of those are bad ideas but ill check about that garage

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
I would definatley wait till later in life so it can be indoors and you will be better prepared to care for it. In the meantime you could read and study on this site so you can have everything perfect when you get your baby...

SeanFred

Hatchling Member
Where do you live? What is the seasonal climate? If you live in a region where it snows, you would better serve your future dragon by waiting until you can take care of it properly. While your waiting, research and get to know everything you can so when the time is right, your are ready.

SeanFred

Hatchling Member
There are people that have outdoor enclosures in So-Cal that have Beardies that are thriving, but it is a lot more difficult caring for them properly. I would start by researching requirments and maybe inquiring as to what it would take to build a proper enclosure/habitat for them. If you come up with a well thought out and researched game plan, and your aunt sees that you are serious and committed, maybe she will soften her attitude a lot. Educating her in a respectful manner little bits at a time may help.

Before my wife bought Nero for my son, I HATED all forms of reptiles and did not believe they had any business in a house. I was not involved in the decision, but after a month, it was me taking care of it. I love my Beardie now and have respect and understanding toward reptile owners. I was very short sited and ignorant because I did not know anything about reptiles except they were vermin and carried disease. I had terrible preconceptions, but when I learned the truth of the matter, I found out how wrong I was. My saving grace was that I believe when you take on a pet, you are committed to that pet for the rest of its life. It did not choose to be our pet, we chose it, so we owe it a life where it can thrive, not just survive.

Remember, your aunt loves you and wants what's best for you, don't hold it against her if she never comes around, but if you go about it the right way, you never know what might happen.

zXEmOxBeaRXz

Original Poster
il look into it sounds like it would be better for the dragon then being in the garage at least he or she. will get alot of nice sunlight. just worried about rain.

SeanFred

Hatchling Member
If done properly, I have to believe a dragon would be perfectly safe, but the most important thing to remember, it's not a set and forget type of friend, he will need a lot of attention every day.

TASTIGER

Extreme Poster
I have never heard of people having a Bearded dragon live in an outdoor enclosure I know tortoises do well outside
there are a few things you need to think about if you are going to have an outdoor enclosure
Natural predators like racoons and hawks will try to get your dragon, which could be very stressful for the dragon
you cant use a glass enclosure outside it acts like a magnifying glass and will cook your dragon
as for the rain your dragon needs to be able to get away from the rain and stay dry
you also need to be able to provide heat if the temp falls below 60

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
And there is also the insects and greens and veggies to buy. The supplements he will need, not to mention any vet bills that may come up. Before you make a commitment to own a dragon, you have to be prepared and able to provide everything neccessary for him or her. They are very wonderful pets, but it is making a commitment for 8 - 10 years and being able to financially responsible, if you are able to truly provide all of these things, and you have researched ALOT, then and only then should you think about becoming a dragon parent.

zXEmOxBeaRXz

Original Poster
yes i am not buying him yet not till i am ready but this was one problem i wanted to get out of the way which is can i actually get the dragon at this current time before i go getting ready for t to find out i gotta wait till later in life i have done reading on them and looking at this forum before but i am not buying him yet not till i have a stable environment and make sure i ca get food for it when it needs it and making sure i can give it almost every it of my attention and nothing else is in the way of taking care of the BD. =) don't want him to get lonely or depressed or suffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom