Bathy bathy softy dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.

premammalian

Hatchling Member
I have a question. Why to bath a bearded dragon? Actually how this notion dominated the bearded dragon community and why? I understand that if there is a sever shedding or constipation problem, then a bath might be needed, but why otherwise. It has become a custome in this forum for all to bath their animals, sometimes even more than once a week, and I would think it would be anathema if you said you don't bath your animals. But I dare say, I haven't ever bathed my dragon. Actually once in July, but she jumped out of the water immediately and I never tried that again. Also I forgot I bathed her just after waking from hibernation, but she just remained still with head and tail straight up, like she didn't want to wet herself, and she never drunk a drop.
Bearded dragons are not dirty animals. They avoid their feces if it is possible. Also they don't get shedding or impaction problems so often. A light misting suffices both for their shedding and drinking needs. They come from the harshe desert, and when they don't live in the desert, they still live in semi-desert conditions with few or any standing water. They don't get exposed too much water in their natural habitat. They don't come from the jungle, from the river's side or from a fantasy land with plenty of clean water to swim as they please. They are from the hot, rocky desert. Seriously they aren't babies!
I think no other serious keepers of desert reptiles bath their animals, only beardie keepers. Why?

onceblue

Hatchling Member
It may not be needed, but I bathe my beardie because as a juvie, he's in almost constant shed, and I can tell he's uncomfortable with the way he rubs himself on things. So I give him a warm soak to make him feel better and encourage the shed to come off a little easier. I don't think there's anything wrong with not bathing as long as you make sure your dragon gets the hydration it needs (from misting veggies and such, I personally do that and use a dropper simply because I like the dropper method and because my beardie only eats a little salad since he's still young). But if your dragon doesn't mind a bath and it helps him when shedding, why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom