Bathtub behavior?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aegillesp

Hatchling Member
I started giving Simon a bath in the bathtub because he outgrew my kitchen sink, and I usually have to leave the water streaming a little and he'll poo pretty easily. Today, he wouldn't poo! it's been 2 days, which I'm not too worried about, but it's what he did in the tub. He just laid super flat with his legs spread out and he kept laying his head in the water and closed his eyes. Any clue to what he was doing? I had to hold his head up because he kept letting the water into his ears and I didn't want it to cover his nose. Another thing, when I put him in the shallower and he looked like he filled himself with air because he was twice his size until I picked him up and moved him again. Just curious if anyone elses' beardie has done this or has other odd behavior in the tub?

NikTait

Hatchling Member
I'm not sure about him laying his head in the water, unless he was just drinking. But the rest is completely normal :) Mine fills himself with air and goes flat like a pancake so that he's actually half floating in the water. Even though his legs can touch the bottom, he becomes so buoyant that his back legs are actually lifted off the ground. As for not going for a few days, it'll just be the change in 'scenery'. If I switch up where I bath Dexter, he won't poop in the new place. So it'll just take a few baths for your beardie to get used to that one and relax in it. If he is drinking the water, then make sure you're keeping him hydrated enough as it might be a sign he isn't getting enough water elsewhere. And if he is in the middle of doing it, try not to lift his head out too quick or move him, because they can take a sort of gasp and aspirate the water. First time Dex stuck his head under the water for a big drink, I panicked and picked him up. He had water running out his nostrils for the rest of the day! So just watch that. They're not particularly 'good' at drinking water, because it's not instinctive too them, so they can cause themselves some bother with it and can drown very easily. If you're finding that he insists on dunking his head then, as I say, think about his hydration elsewhere and failing that, try and make sure it's shallow enough that he's not at risk. Hope that helps! :)

aegillesp

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
That does make sense. This was his 3rd or 4th time in the tub. Last time he just kept his face in the running water from the tub spout. It just makes me panic when he lets his head go under. I usually try to hold it above and let him do what he's doing and he is usually good with it. Do you think if I filled it to about 2-3" and hold his head up he would float? How awesome would that be!

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
NikTait":39c90u16 said:
First time Dex stuck his head under the water for a big drink, I panicked and picked him up. He had water running out his nostrils for the rest of the day! So just watch that.

Dargon did that to me. I looked away for a second and when i looked back he had his head completely under the water and wasn't moving! talk about being freaked out!
he doesn't do that anymore, but sometimes he will drink too much water and cough it up.

Play around with the temperature of the water too. the tub is bigger, and if the water is shallow it can get colder faster. If it is too hot they struggle to get out, or if is too cold they don't really move. but when i get the temperature juuuuust right they swim around and enjoy the bath.

if you gently rub his belly, top to bottom, on his right side it may help him poop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eragon21
Top Bottom