Bathing Times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chanza

Hatchling Member
Often when I bath my beardie, as soon as I put him in the water he will sit very still and flatten himself out. At first, he wouldn't move at all but now he is getting a little better, moving his head around and sticking his tounge in and out a little. The store I bought him from didn't bath there beardies (i think they were sprayed) as they had so many reptiles they didn't really have the time. So perhaps he just isn't used to baths? Is this a normal behaviour for new to bath beardies?

Also, the water is always lukewarm, never hot or too cold I always check with my hand. There and no chemicals in the bath or any sudden noises/movement in the room that may spook him.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Bathing is not mandatory. Only if they get stinky, soil themselves, help them shed or, to treat an impaction, do you need to bathe them. They do not get hydration from it unless they drink the water. So if it frightens him, don't do it.

LewisBD

Hatchling Member
Chanza":2x9fllaa said:
Often when I bath my beardie, as soon as I put him in the water he will sit very still and flatten himself out. At first, he wouldn't move at all but now he is getting a little better, moving his head around and sticking his tounge in and out a little. The store I bought him from didn't bath there beardies (i think they were sprayed) as they had so many reptiles they didn't really have the time. So perhaps he just isn't used to baths? Is this a normal behaviour for new to bath beardies?

Also, the water is always lukewarm, never hot or too cold I always check with my hand. There and no chemicals in the bath or any sudden noises/movement in the room that may spook him.

That's perfectly fine, but only bathe when needed. I 'bathe' my beardie everyday only because that's the way he goes to the bathroom lol. You don't want to spook your new beardie by plopping him in water and expect him to walk around and such, only do it when needed.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
My beardie hates baths with a passion... one way to help them is you can put a rock in the water and can sit on it so doesnt feel so scary. Or my beardie is spoiled so i usually just hold him in the water and kinda just move him along like a baby on floaties type of thing. Its really cute he is literally like a baby! :lol:

Chanza

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ah yes, thankyou for your replies. I have heard a bit of a mismatch of bathing, some say you should bath daily, others say when mandatory. I would agree with you guys on the idea on bathing when needed, as it isn't natural in the wild. However is misting still a good idea?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Spraying is fine, with the water directed gently to the tip of the snout. All my beardies drink that way. Some people use eyedroppers. Babies might drink like that everyday, older dragons generally drink less frequently....my adults drink about every 7-10 days.

Chanza

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Krumpli will generally drink from his dish however, but I may also consider misting as he doesn't drink very frequently. Thanks for the advice

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Chanza":15yp0syc said:
Krumpli will generally drink from his dish however, but I may also consider misting as he doesn't drink very frequently. Thanks for the advice

If he drinks from his water dish , he's a rarity , very few beardies will do that unless trained to do so , they are more likely to
>> sit in the water to cool off
or
>> deposit a poo in it (they a smart , doesn't take them long to discover submerged poors don't smell as much.

If he enjoys the bath, endulge him. If not , it's an unnecessary stressor.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Chanza":2lp4vijc said:
Often when I bath my beardie, as soon as I put him in the water he will sit very still and flatten himself out.
<<< if he's pancaking in it and not trying to get out rightaway, he's probably enjoying it. If he pancakes and brightens up , he is definitely enjoying it.

At first, he wouldn't move at all but now he is getting a little better, moving his head around and sticking his tounge in and out a little. The store I bought him from didn't bath there beardies (i think they were sprayed) as they had so many reptiles they didn't really have the time. So perhaps he just isn't used to baths? Is this a normal behaviour for new to bath beardies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sage_1207
Top Bottom