Bath time bloating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joanna

My little baby beardie had his 3rd bath today and I noticed he puffed out his body (literally blown out like a balloon) until I placed him back under his basking lamp. He didn't do this the other 2 times I've given him a bath, and he also didn't poo (he did the other 2 times). Are these things linked or is it simply a mechanism for staying afloat even though the water only came up to his chest. He seems fine otherwise, he's alert and exploring a lot. Is this normal behaviour? We've only had him a couple of weeks and any little thing that is different to what he usually does and I freak out...still got the new mum jitters!

Esther19

BD.org Addict
Yes, it's natural. Maybe the water was a different temp, or a little deeper, or maybe not. Maybe he grew enough to discover the puffing out skill. Little babies should have a bath daily. They get dehydrated very easily. Has he been pooing in his tank? Some beardies will only poo outside their tank. it's super wonderful if they can get used to going only in the bath. Much easier clean-up. If they poo too early in the bath, however, the sink should be drained and fresh water put in. How lucky your little one is to have such a conscientious mum!

carlisv

Hatchling Member
It's also possible that he's getting ready for a shed. When our two 4-year old boys are getting ready to shed their tummies, they poof up in the tub so the water gets under their skin and helps the skin shed more readily.

It's a good thing the bath is shallow - when they're just learning to do that they can tip over easily if the water is too deep. My Richard likes his bath deep so he can swim back and forth like a fierce predator, but when he's doing the poofy thing he tends to capsize and I really have to keep my eye on him.

Joanna

Original Poster
Thanks guys! I think he is coming up for a shed around his body, he's just done his beard area and one foot. Is it normal to shed in such small patches? I've had leopard geckos and they did it all in one go but I read beardies do it in patches....how long will it take? Now that I know the bloating is normal I find it really cute!!

Joanna

Original Poster
Also when can I start making the bath deeper for him to have a proper swim? At the moment I'm just using the sink since he's still only little (about 7inches head to tail).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heidib715
Top Bottom