basting and uvb

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys, i have just built one of my two enclosures for the two baby beardies i will be picking up at the next reptile expo, and before i get them i was wondering about heat and uvb. i want to finish my enclosures before i get them and i have a few questions.

1) reptisun 10.0 for uvb (tube), right?
if i can get a uvb bulb, what/which ones are okay? watts?

2) my enclosure is 4x2x2 melamine. the bulbs will be on the inside. (one basking per enclosure)
what kind of brand bulb should i use for basking?
what wattage?
what material should i look for to AVOID and USE?
can i use a regular house/lamp bulb?

3) what brand of ceramic heat emitter can i use? watts?

THANKS!!!

ClydesGirl

Sub-Adult Member
Actually, you could also use an Arcadia 12% UVB tube, but if you live in the US, they are only available from one website that imports them from Europe:

http://lightyourreptiles.com

Otherwise, the Reptisun 10.0 tube is your only option. For a 4 foot enclosure, I'd recommend a 24" bulb placed over on the warm/basking side so your beardie can soak up UVB while basking.

For basking, any clear household bulb will do. It doesn't have to be a "reptile" basking bulb. No one is going to be able to tell you which wattage, since that's is dependent on a lot of things: ambient temperature of the room, distance of the bulb from the basking surface, ventilation within the enclosure, etc. My recommendation is to put it on a dimmer and buy a higher wattage than you'll think you'll need (maybe 100 watt?) and then dim it down to fine-tune the temps.

krolmariusz

Original Poster
that was perfect! now all i want to know, is which material is bad for the little guy? in a basking bulb that is. ive read here or there that something in the bulbs actually hurts them, do you know waht that is?

thanks1

ClydesGirl

Sub-Adult Member
I've not heard of anything in a basking bulb that can cause problems, unless you are talking about Mercury Vapor Bulbs (MVBs), which you wouldn't be using if you got a tube UVB. As long as your basking light is a clear glass incandescent light bulb, there shouldn't be any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom