basking vs. infrared

Status
Not open for further replies.

mojo505

Hatchling Member
what is the difference between a (zoo med) basking spot lamp and an infrared basking spot?

My baby has developed a RI which is being treated so now I am hyper aware of my temps all day. I am having a bout of insecurity... so some feed back would be helpful. A few things have me scratching my head so to speak... 1. She sits in the hot spot all day but her beard is black and her mouth is open 2. I thought if an animal got over heated they would move. 3. I thought I needed to offer a basking spot all day

I normally use a 50watt infrared bulb during summer and it stays on all day... we use 75watt during the winter. I noticed with the infrared bulb that my basking spot was staying around 105 on the probe thermometer but that the cool side of the tank was around 88. And that's with the A/C on. My assumption is that it is hotter than that with the A/C off when we are at work. So I bought a 25watt zoo med basking spot bulb and it kicked the heat up to 115 on the probe but the cooler side of the tank was 80. Would a 25watt bulb really be hotter than a 50watt bulb? Maybe I don't understand blubs. I also bought a timer thinking maybe I didn't need a basking spot all day.

I am feeling overwhelmed as a result of this RI so some thoughts and suggestions would be welcome... I have gotten myself worked up something aweful.

details-
5 year old female
55 gallon enclosure (4ft X16X16) with ceramic tile floor, ceramic base light mount
new Repitsun 10.0 tube

on hand-
zoo med Repti basking spot lamp 25 watt
Exo Terra Infrared Basking Spot 50watt
2 wall timers (actually 1, the other shuts off the UVB tube at night)

zandi202

BD.org Addict
The infrared irritates a beardie's eyes and, if I remember correctly, it doesn't break up the UVB like the regular basking light does.

1. Usually they gape when it's too hot. It's a beardie's version of a dog's pant. What are your basking temps and what are you using to take them?

2. Beardies don't seem to. When Zy got hot she still sits there. Jace will move to the cool side. It all depends on the baby.

3. Basking and UVB should be offered 12-14 hours a day.

I would get red of the infrared light and replace it with a regular basking bulb or a flood light. Flood lights are less watts for more heat though you may want to buy a dimmer.

I would switch her to a 40g because the dimension width wise is too small.... Usually a 55g is 12" wide. Are you sure that is not a 75g with it being 4 ft wide?

I'd say trash the infrared all together and not even have it on at night. Beardies need it to be a minimum of 65 at night and if it gets lower than that you're better off buying a CHE because it emits heat and not light.

mojo505

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
the enclosure is custom made which i why i posted the dimensions.

thanks for your in put it was my understanding reptiles don't see red...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bw341606
Top Bottom