basking temp + not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Littleleno

Original Poster
EllenD":xxsb9z6o said:
In my personal opinion, from experience, your main problem here is that your tank is WAY TOO SMALL!!! I understand she is only 6 inches and that your husband is building an enclosure for her, but a 2 feet by 1 foot tank is WAY TOO SMALL for any Bearded Dragon, even a hatchling, not because of the available space inside it, but rather because it is impossible to have a temperature gradient of any kind inside it. You say she is "always laying on the "cool" side", but the fact of the matter is that your tank size isn't really allowing for a cool side at all. It's too close to the side with the basking light. So it's become a vicious cycle for your beardie-she won't bask under the light because she's already too hot/over heating on the "cool side", as already mentioned by someone else, and not basking under the light isn't allowing her to absorb enough UVB for enough hours each day, which doesn't allow her to process her calcium, D3, and all other nutrition, which can result in a lack of appetite, bone density issues, etc. This is the most important time of her life to get adequate nutrition and calcium so that she will properly grow...

I don't know how soon your husband will have her enclosure ready, but it cannot be soon enough. I'm guessing you will see a huge difference in her as soon as you get her out of that tiny tank, as it is essentially an oven that really is "cooking her", as already said...

I agree it's to small, BUT that said, I do have a temperature gradient. Now that I switched spot bulbs, I have 101 on her basking rock and 78-79 on the cool side of her tank. Since switching the bulb, she is basking more, eating 10-27 crickets a day and seem perfectly content? I'm not sure how I am cooking her ?

Littleleno

Original Poster
I thought i would update again, just to keep everyone posted. I will be switching the 2ftx1ft cage out today for a 3ftx1ft (29gal) aquarium until her custom terrarium is completed. Hoping this is big enough for a few weeks while things are getting built.

She's basking more, eating more and exploring her cage more and more. Thanks for the help.

jayce82

Juvie Member
honestly doing all the cage changing is going to stress him out more. just leave him where he is until new one is done

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there. It is SO hard to get the perfect temps, lots of trial & error each time you change tank dimensions. Sounds like the temps you have now are perfect as long as you're using the temp gun and holding it about 2" from the area you're checking. If so, it might be best to leave him in the tank he is now since he is eating, active & willingly basking which are all great signs that he is happy. Have to agree with jayce that changing him to a slightly larger tank while the other one is being done in 2 wks, will cause more stress so he could stop eating, basking and all again. Plus you would have to do some more temp adjustments all over again.

He is so cute. What did you name him?

Littleleno

Original Poster
okay, thank you. Appreciate the advice. Lots of differing opinions. We named her/him Spike. She seems much happier with the lower heat temp. She has also been having a bite or two each day of the fresh greens (squash, collard greens, pepper all finely chopped in food processor) that have been offered.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Spike is a cute name. :)

Yes there are lots of different opinions on some things. I do agree that a larger tank is needed very soon but since he/she is doing so much better, sure don't want to upset things for only about a 2 wk wait for the larger enclosure.

You have done great in getting things all squared away for now. :D

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
jayce82":dk9axmrw said:
honestly doing all the cage changing is going to stress him out more. just leave him where he is until new one is done

I concur .... expecially since he's been sick as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom