Basking Spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sushe

Hi, so I was thinking about my basking spot bulb (Exo terra Solar Glo 125Watts) and I remembered that soon it will lose is properties.

My lightning setup is, on the left side of the terrarium a CHE 100Watts (for cold days/nights) and on the right side a Solar Glo 125Watts as I said before. Last but not least I have a Arcadia T8 Reptile Lamp Tube Euro Range D3 Desert 10% UVB 38Watts, about 80% of the terrarium length (in the middle).

My Question is, can I buy a household bulb for the basking spot? I saw some topics but I couldn't figure it out if is better or worst than using the Solar Glo 125Watts.
And which type of household bulb, if the question above is yes, could I buy? Incandescent or halogen?
Or should I buy another solar glo bulb?

Thank you for your time, and sorry if this is a dumb topic.
Best Regards

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
I'd go with a halogen bulb. Relatively cheap, somewhat long lasting, and better than an incandescent. The solar glo is supposed to supply uvb, uva, and heat but since you already have a decent uvb(though I'd get a desert t5 next if you can) and aren't using the solar glo as an all in one source(supposedly it doesn't always work as it should so I'd use a uvb with it or different MVB brand), a halogen would be pretty good. Also, you can pick up halogen bulbs from lowes or Home Depot for a cheaper price as they're basically the same thing as the pet store ones(just less expensive since you don't pay for branding and it being made "specifically for reptiles).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Sushe":3py7cmyc said:
Hi, so I was thinking about my basking spot bulb (Exo terra Solar Glo 125Watts) and I remembered that soon it will lose is properties.

My lightning setup is, on the left side of the terrarium a CHE 100Watts (for cold days/nights) and on the right side a Solar Glo 125Watts as I said before. Last but not least I have a Arcadia T8 Reptile Lamp Tube Euro Range D3 Desert 10% UVB 38Watts, about 80% of the terrarium length (in the middle).

My Question is, can I buy a household bulb for the basking spot? I saw some topics but I couldn't figure it out if is better or worst than using the Solar Glo 125Watts.
And which type of household bulb, if the question above is yes, could I buy? Incandescent or halogen? <<<< yes , a domestic par38 incandescent or halogen spot globe will be fine.
These are popular as basking globes here in Australia http://www.assets.lighting.philips.com/is/content/PhilipsLighting/fp923815645501-pss-en_au

Or should I buy another solar glo bulb?

Thank you for your time, and sorry if this is a dumb topic.
Best Regards

Sushe

Original Poster
Great! Thank you for all your advices, when the t8 bulb lose is properties I will go for a t5.

I really notice a different behavior when I did mount the t8 bulb, I was using a compact bulb and the solar glo, and I wanted to get rid of the compact bulb so I switched to the linear t8 bulb and my beardie somehow got more alert and better looking.

I will definitely go for a halogen bulb, don't want to pay the extra cash for the brand and "specially for reptiles" as you said.

Best Regards!

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
Sushe":2g2mbbw2 said:
Great! Thank you for all your advices, when the t8 bulb lose is properties I will go for a t5.

I really notice a different behavior when I did mount the t8 bulb, I was using a compact bulb and the solar glo, and I wanted to get rid of the compact bulb so I switched to the linear t8 bulb and my beardie somehow got more alert and better looking.

I will definitely go for a halogen bulb, don't want to pay the extra cash for the brand and "specially for reptiles" as you said.

Best Regards!

I've used compacts for years without issue(though I only use Exo Terra as I know they're mostly reliable, something I can't really say for all brands) but, based on all the raving reviews from people who've switched, I may try out a t5 tube next time. I'm glad to have helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom