Basking spot temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derobmi

Hatchling Member
I have a Powersun MVB in a 40 gallon breeder for my adult dragon. His basking spot is right under it, the minimum recommended number of inches away. The temperature of the basking spot is around 100 degrees, sometimes a few more or less depending on the ambient temperature.

My concern is that when he basks, he is a few inches taller than the basking spot, thus his head is A) closer to the MVB and B) significantly hotter than the 100 degree spot he is sitting on. Or is that how you are supposed to do it? He should move if he's too hot, yet he will bask for hours, so it must be alright. Right?

Thanks!

scm133

Juvie Member
If the basking spot (surface) is 100 degrees, he will be fine. Thank goodness, we do not have to measure the temp on the top of the head!!! :D
If the temp gets too warm on his head, he will probably just flatten out. How are you measuring the temp? Digital probe or infra red?

Derobmi

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks! I figured I was over-thinking it, but I prefer to be cautious when it comes to my lizard's health. I use an infra-red thermometer which I believe to be fairly accurate.

:)

Mary

scm133

Juvie Member
Hi Mary,
It does get over whelming sometimes with temps, lights, food, etc. :shock: I would much rather over-think, then miss something crucial. Yes, the infra red thermometer is perfect.
Sally

LLLReptile

Juvie Member
If you use a temp gun, you can check how hot his head really gets. :)

I've had the fortune of talking to a handful of folks (and a friend doing her masters on beardies) who have actually seen wild beardies in their natural habitat, and had the chance to temp gun them to see what temperatures they live at. One gentleman I talked to told me how he'd temped numerous beardies at skin temperatures of 130 degrees plus!

If you have a large enough cage for them to escape the heat if they desire, then the basking spot you have is perfect, and the beardie will adjust its behavior to maintain its preferred temperature.

-Jen

Derobmi

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks! I took the temperature of his head after he'd been basking awhile and it was 99 degrees. I just moved him to the 40 gallon breeder recently from a 55 gallon and it seems smaller, but I think it is fine. Actually, I think he has more floor space. He can get away from the bulb if he wants.

I appreciate the input from both of you! Thank you very much :)

Mary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
23parkera
Top Bottom