Basking spot temp question

Status
Not open for further replies.

gandhi

Hatchling Member
A couple of weeks ago I made a post that said Gandhi wasn't basking alot (temp 105-106) but the hot area where he was spending most of his time in was 103 and the replies I had was that he was probably just happy hanging out at that temp and I shouldn't worry.

But then he was opening his mouth a lot when not on his basking spot and I was thinking that he didn't like it so hot (although he never spent any time down the cool end). I have 2 bulbs above his basking spot (a 60w spotlight type and a 40w normal household bulb)

I decided to see what would happen if I made it a bit cooler for him so I changed the 40w household bulb for a 25w) The basking temps then lowered so that they were just hitting 100. He now spends all day basking and is not thermoregulating all the time and seems a happier dragon.

My question is that I know temps for a juvie should be 105-110 but he seems to prefer temps around the 100 mark. is this OK or will is cause problems in the long run?

Gina

EmJagsz

Juvie Member
IMO I think you should just keep it around 105-110F. He may like the lower temps, but they need the higher temps to digest their food properly. Of course he always has the option of going where he needs to be if he gets too warm, or too cold etc but if you don't keep it warm enough, how will he thermoregulate properly if he needs? Just my 2 cents

gandhi

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Great - thanks for your input. It's a difficult one because he just won't bask and seems almost uncomfortable at the higher temps but will happily spend all day on his basking spot if it's 100!!

does anyone know how true this quote is?

'The above temperatures are only a reference. Individual dragons have different preferences within the recommended range. Carefully observing your dragon for a few weeks will give you clues about its comfort zone. If the basking spot stays at 110 and your dragon never basks, that may indicate that while the temps are “within range” they are still too hot for your dragon’s comfort, and should be adjusted.

The minimum temperature at which a dragon can digest food is 95 degrees Fahrenheit (35 Celsius). As long as the basking spot hits 95 for several hours per day, it’s OK, even if the temps later fall below 95. Additionally, prolonged exposure to temperatures over 115 can lead to extreme thermal stress which can be fatal. This is why a quality thermometer and vigilant eye are critical to a dragon's health.'

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Hi Gina... can I just ask what type thermometer you are using and where you are taking the temps on Gandhi's basking spot?
What temps are you getting on the coolside?

Also yes... all beardies are different as far as what they like and don't like. If you notice your beardie not handling the hotter basking temps, then yes, go with what is making beardie bask. At his age I wouldn't let it fall below 100 degrees. I have a 4 month old that likes his temps around 102-103 and digests properly.

Just to be safe though.. if you could let us know about your thermometer and placing of thermometer, we can make sure your temps are correct.

gandhi

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Cool :D

Im using an exo terra probe thermometer like this one http://www.pets-warehouse.com/pic-H/PT2472-2477.jpg
When I take a temp I lay the probe right under the basking spot so it's touching (stick the wire down with masking tape but not on the probe) Then leave it for 45mins. Sometimes it's difficult because he lays on it and i'm guessing that's not an accurate reading?

The cool end is 79-82 now but with the hotter temps it was 83-86 (although he doesn't spend any time down the cool end)

So you think 100-102 basking spot will be ok for him? It won't cause any long term damage or anything? I always investigate the poo to make sure everything is digested!! Is this the only thing I should look out for?

Thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pete5775
Top Bottom