Basking Set Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

rp5050

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ugb9h5cyqzdwwe3/2014-08-02 14.39.17.jpg

I am hoping someone can help with taking a look at my basking area set up. The issue I have is varying temperatures throughout the basking area. I have put a link to a picture of the area showing the varying temps at specific locations (in degrees Fahrenheit). My beardie's favorite spot is on the log (even when I had the ideal temp on the rock) so I want to get the basking temp to an optimal level but if I do that the rock (which I understand absorbs and retains much more heat than a log) will be far too hot. I use both a digital and infrared to measure the temperatures so I am getting the same readings on both. I want to have a flat spot for him to be able to bask, which from what I have read about seems to be a necessary item for proper digestion. I am just looking for some feedback on what would be the best correction for this issue. Whether I should get rid of the log and focus just on getting the correct temp on the rock (but I would hate to take away his favorite spot) or keep both and make sure the temp is ideal on the rock but the temp on the log would drop and he can move to the rock as needed. Or would someone just recommend a completely different set up, I am much more concerned about my beardie's comfort than the aesthetic appeal of his enclosure. Any help with this would be great. Thank you.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, it's hard to tell from this picture but is the rock right under the basking bulb? If it is, perhaps you can swap the log & rock around & see what the temp on the log is then.

Where is your UVB light in relation to the basking area? Seems like there may be more than a 6 to 8" distance to the UVB bulb. Could you post a picture of the complete setup for us?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
What kind if bulb are you using? Is it a spot or a flood light?

You dragon may just prefer the shape/feel of branch or the temp of the branch over the rock. Pepper has a similar preference, and spends a lot of time on a log that's slightly cooler, but will bask on his warmer rock after eating or being out. I keep the rock at "max" temp, and the log is a few degrees lower.

rp5050

Original Poster
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d9ii7z0a0lmgswl/2014-07-31 15.34.52.jpg

About half the surface of the rock is underneath the basking bulb and some of the log is under it as well. The measurement from the basking area from the UVB fixture is about 6.5 inches. I have included a full view of my enclosure set up.

It is a spot light. I have done some experimenting with flood lights but I could not find one that worked as well. I am also thinking that he is just more comfortable on the log and when needed he can go on the rock.

Thanks both for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom