Basking rock temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

saden99

Alright, so I use rocks in my beardies enclosure. They are basically slabs of granite that I extracted from a huge....granite rock jutting up in my front yard. I re-did his enclosure. Moved his UV light closer by constructing a make-shift platform for it. I'm actually going to be adding to it so that I can raise/lower the light by about 4-6", but I also had to move the basking light even closer to his normal basking rock.

I just took the temperature using a digital probe and had it sitting there for about 10 minutes and it read 111.5 F. Naturally, I breathed all of the air that was in the room into my lungs and quickly moved the basking light up by about 3-4". Hopefully this will keep it around 100 F. My question is whether or not this is a good temperature for the rock to be at? Not the 111.5, but 100? He's almost 3 years old so I know they like it lower than a Juvie, but how low? He's completely avoiding the rock right now as it cools down. He's actually on the tiles next to the rock and those are at a good 90 F or so.

I'm actually somewhat proud at how I rigged the platform on the UV fixture. It's a fixture that was clearly made to just sit on top of a tank which is ridiculous for a reptile fixture and I didn't want to just get rid of it. Gladly, it opens up easily and bolts + nuts + wood = platform.

Anyways...is the rock supposed to be at 100 F for his age? Or is it supposed to be the ambient temperature is 100 F...or both at 100 F is good? Just somewhat confusing because I know the heat on their belly helps with digestion.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi. Would love to see pictures of your beardies enclosure with the granite slabs. :)

Good that you're using a probe thermometer. You will need to retake the basking surface temp because in order to get the correct reading, the probe has to be laying on the basking spot for 45 min to an hr before getting the final reading. If you only waited 10 minutes and it was already over 111 and even though you moved the basking light up, I'll be the basking surface temp is still way over 100 degrees. That's more than likely why he is completely avoiding the rock right now.

After you get the final basking surface temp, place the probe way over on the bottom of the cool side and wait the required amount of time to get a reading there.

For an adult, the basking surface temp should be 98 to about 104 degrees, you have to see what temp within that range he prefers. If he avoids that spot, he's too hot and if he stays there all day, he is too cool.

What size tank is he in and what is the wattage of the basking bulb? Do you have only one heat bulb on the whole tank?

saden99

Original Poster
I guess I should have given that info...

He's in a 75 gallon and the bulb is 150W. What's funny is I switched it from 100W to 150W because the 100W just wasn't getting it very hot. When I felt the rock it was warm and about 94 F. Now with the 150W and it moved slightly closer it shot up to 108+ F. I've actually pointed the bulb in a somewhat different direction that way it's not focused on the rock. It was like 102 F before the lights went out for sleepy time. I'll check again tomorrow.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That sounds better. Make sure you wait for the temp to stop rising, about an hr before getting the final basking temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom