Basking lamp with appropriate color temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaskotch

Juvie Member
Have an arcadia 12% d3+ which is going to satisfy my UVB needs- now looking at the basking light, I see halogen floods are recommended, however I am not seeing any that come close to true daylight color temperatures- even the ones that say they are white light are like 3000K at best, and that isn't true white light. I am seeing LED floods that come much closer, at 5000K... but some comments that these don't put out any appreciable heat. Has anyone come up with an incandescent type basking light that hits the right color temperature of 6500K or near?

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Beardies need bright white light. It's important for their health, so that's what you're looking for. You need a wattage that will give the right temps, which is 105-110F for babies, 105F for juvies (5 mo and older) and 100F-102F for adults (over a year old). Before I used Power Suns (UVB with heat, mercury vapour lights) I used clear household bulbs, 60 or 75W, whichever gave the right temps. It was less expensive than the flood lights and I could get a variety of wattages depending on the size of the tanks I was using. Once I switched to Power Suns, I never had to worry about a separate light again. Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom