Balrog has a mass in her mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

isabelleandpaul

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well finally, good news!
The biopsy results are back, and they reveal a benign mass, so nothing to worry too much about! :blob5:
We have to keep giving Baytril until it is gone. I discuss the difficulties with giving the meds with the vet on the phone. She suggested to wrap Balrog in a towel and drop a little bit on her lips until she ends up opening her mouth and then quickly squirt the rest in.

I tried, with Miss T's advice of adding a little water, and it worked! It took a while, but Balrog actually got her full dose today!

Anyway, I was SOOOOO relieved that the mass was nothing more than simple inflammation, that I was willing to take the time to give the meds!

Thanks all of you for your advice, and hopefully Balrog's mouth will heal shortly.

Isabelle

MissT

BD.org Addict
Thats great news!

And brilliant that you got the meds into her! I used to try flavoured juices and purees etc and was totally shocked when water was the thing that actually worked!! Im starting Kazi on baytril again tomoro morning so hoping water is just as effective this time around!

Hope all continues to go well!

T

ChiefsDaddy

Gray-bearded Member
MissT":mrvvjp46 said:
Hehe.... it does NOT taste good - Kazi shook his head the first time I ever gave him it and it ended up in my mouth!

Literally a taste of your own medicine :lol:

isabelleandpaul

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Here are some pictures of Balrog, taken yesterday:

DSC_0503.jpg

DSC_0502.jpg

I took her to the vet again today, she had fluid coming out of her nose, I assumed previously that it was Baytril that got in her face, but it appears that it's an effect of her inflammation. I got more details on the biopsy results: there is scar tissue and inflammatory tissue, made of a bunch of cells that they identified. It means that it's chronic inflammation, it seems like it has been there for some time, so it will take time to heal.

The vet wants to see her again in three weeks to see if there's improvement, otherwise we may investigate more.

I like this vet, but she tells me that adult bearded dragons should eat mostly pinkies. She gave me a mixture of veggies for salad, which are all good according to the chart. But I am skeptical about pinkies.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Your right to doubt the pinkie advice! They are totally unnecessary!
If your looking for other good feeders, why not try hornworms or silkworms :D

isabelleandpaul

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Balrog really likes worms. I usually have a supply of supers, but often I order silkworms (her favorites) and the big juicy green-blue (vers Goliath in French). She also likes butterworms. When I'm out of worms she gets dubias. I have a dubia colony for my other dragon who prefers dubias over worms. Spoiled dragons!

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Wow, she is a big girl!! and so pretty!! How often does she get feeders? My males only want feeders maybe twice a week.. I offer them 4x but, they won't eat them.. but my girl loves to eat..

So, the mass wasn't cancerous. That's good. How old is she? I'm sorry if you said it already, I just forgot.

KevJ

I had the same issue today. A growth inside the mouth. Had x-rays done and the vet still isn't sure. The bone looks undamaged still. I have her on novo-trimel suspension antibiotics and tomorrow they're attempting to lance it. Fingers crossed it isn't cancer!

She's eating, running around and tail up happy so I'm optimistic.

b6f28070.jpg

My girl is small, only 350g, always has been

ff56b52c.jpg

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
isabelleandpaul":1d5pld1b said:
Balrog really likes worms. I usually have a supply of supers, but often I order silkworms (her favorites) and the big juicy green-blue (vers Goliath in French). She also likes butterworms. When I'm out of worms she gets dubias. I have a dubia colony for my other dragon who prefers dubias over worms. Spoiled dragons!

I agree with Laura1055, goliath worms can grow to be 4" and they can take the place of a pinkie. Easier to digest then a pinkie too.
I am happy Balrog has such a great owner. :wink:

isabelleandpaul

Juvie Member
Original Poster
KevJ":3fdibuo3 said:
I had the same issue today. A growth inside the mouth. Had x-rays done and the vet still isn't sure. The bone looks undamaged still. I have her on novo-trimel suspension antibiotics and tomorrow they're attempting to lance it. Fingers crossed it isn't cancer!

Good luck. I can say that Balrog's mass seems to be receeding since we started antibiotics. She is even more active than before, eats very well all sorts of worms. I hope that you little girl will be fine, and that you will get good news soon. Please keep us posted.

KevJ

It's benign!!! That's a load off. She was so good they only had to use an orajel type stuff for freezing and no anesthetic. They lanced it, flushed it out and now she'll be on a steady diet of antibiotics. My bill went from a possible $520 to $290. The things we do for our pets right?

She's 9 years old, so I hope I can get another couple good years out of her!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom