Baking or bleaching??

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbluex

Juvie Member
I have a bunch of rocks I want to put in my girls new viv. She will be moving in on Sunday.
If I use a bleach solution how long do I have to wait? Say I let them soak in bleach for a few hours, then wash them off until theres no smell of bleach left, how long after that should I wait to put them in?
Or if I bake them how long at what temp should I bake for? I remember someone saying a really long time ago that some rocks will burst in the oven, is that true? If so I don't want to do that.
Also, is there anything wrong with using alcohol?? I wasn't planning on doing that but if the alcohol based hand sanitizers work for us to remove '99.9% of germs' could it work for beardies rocks??

just use a bleach solution. you dont have to soak them u can just wipe them off with it. i do that then i rinse it with water. and let it are out for a little.

xbluex

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I dont know about just wiping them, they are huge rocks with lots of cracks and everything so if anything I'd soak them so it gets the inner parts better.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
I agree. It is best to soak them in a bleach solution. A few hours will suffice, but overnight is better. Make sure to rinse it well!! Bleach fumes are toxic to beardies. Then let it sit until it is dry, to prevent getting the water in the enclosure and raising the humidity.

I don't know about baking, but I'm paranoid about fires, and bleaching is much safer.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Im super paranoid about using bleach for my babies so I use a vinegar + hot water solution.
To steralise I scrub with the vinegar solution, rinse with hot soapy water until I cant smell any more vinegar and then bake in the oven.
I bake at around 200* for around 15 minutes for rocks and tiles.

Holly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heidib715
Top Bottom