Bad shed maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

techdave

Juvie Member
So Tiamat has had some gray scales around his nose for about a week or so now. He just got done with a full body shed and a little bit of his face. I noticed yesterday that his nose seemed a bit swollen. Today, his nostril is closed from it and his eye seems a bit swollen too. Only on the right side. He doesn't have any other issues, poops good and alert. Although he has been favoring the cool side alot more the past couple days.
His uvb is a reptisun 10.0 about 3 months old, temps are 95ish under the basking light, about 75 cool side, taken with an acurite digital probe, gets calcium 5x a week.
Any ideas?
Image.jpg

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
sorry the pic is really fuzzy, i cant make anything out. try again, a bit closer in and a bit more focused so we can see the scales.

Did notice the basking spot was very low, it needs to be more like 100f.

Not sure what you meant by swollen on one side, so maybe a pic of that too??

techdave

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Sorry about the poor picture quality, I only have my cellphone. But today he shed it off. So it's all good now. Must've just been a shed. Thanks :) On another note, is it normal for him to have an underbite? It doesn't seem to bother him.

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
No its not, its a symptom of MBD, what UVB are you using (brand specifically) how old is it, and what calcium suppliments are you using??

techdave

Juvie Member
Original Poster
It's a reptisun 10.0, about 3 months old. It's about 10" -12" from his basking spot, running the length of his viv. He gets calcium 5x a week, made by Repashy Superfoods,says bearded dragon calcium plus. Would that also be why he hangs out in the cool part a lot more often?

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Humm not heard of that brand, is it pure calcium with added vit D3??

What were you measuring the temps with?? if its anything but a digital thermometer it wont be accurite and he may be too hot.
Does he have any other lumps/bumps??

techdave

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I measured the temps with the acurite thermometer from walmart. The one that has the indoor/outdoor measurements. I'll take another measurement now. It'll be a awhile before I can put the temp up. The calcium is a product of T-Rex. But upon further inspection, the guaranteed analysis says that the calcium is only 18%. The front says vitamin/mineral supplement on the bottom. I saw the calcium plus and didn't think to look closer. So it looks like he hasn't been getting enough calcium. I looked on petmountain.com and found this- http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-supplements/105552/rep-cal-orginial-powder-calicum-with-vitamin-d3.html . Good product? Is there something better? He can recover from MBD, right? Thanks for your help.

Grimleo

Juvie Member
If someone would be able to confirm that(RepCal calcium withD3) calcium as a good source of calcium for our beardies, it would be much appreciated. I have been using this repashy superfoods calcium plus for my beardies main calcium intake and I am very concerned as I have just found out mine also says it only has 18% calcium on the bottle also.

By the way, I am very sure your beardie can recover from MBD as long as it's only in the early stages. Now if an underbite is only an early stage of MBD I wouldn't know. Wish I could help more.

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
yes that seems fine there, i know quite a few people on this site use it (im in the UK so cant get it here!)

When MBD get bad, and you can see bone deformities, such as the underbite, im afraid these will never go, but you can get him healthy again and stop it getting worse! A good UVB and good calcium will do wonders. If its warm enough where you are (again UK not here!) natural sunlight will also be very good, 30 min a day etc!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quantum
Top Bottom