Bad Dream?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shy4nn3

Quick Question...
My beardie was asleep on my chest for about an hour, he was all comfy and snuggled in. Then without any warning, he shoots up onto my shoulder, eyes half open. I wait a second then slowly go to scoop him up and he dives off the recliner and hits the floor running toward the wall. I again gave him a minute to wake up, and talked to him a bit then scooped him up. I held him a minute, then put him back in his house for the night. He is just sitting on his rock, looking around real slow, its kind of weird. What should I do? Just leave him be for the night or what? This is such bizarre behavior for him.
Help me please =S

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
[Moved from General to Behavior]

It definitely sounds like he had a nightmare. If that happens again, I'd just let him be until he fully wakes up and realizes where he's at. Otherwise you'll just startle him more and he might end up hurting himself from trying to run away.

Pookie's first "nightmare" was the first time I "yelled" at him, and he head bobbed in his sleep.

Shy4nn3

Original Poster
Okay, so I did not do anything wrong that I should change to avoid this in the future? I do not want him to have nightmares. He seems to be a very happy beardie. He has just been acting out of the usual here lately. But hopefully he will be back to normal soon. Do beardies have nightmares often?

And I did not even think about what category to put this in bc i was so worried when it happened i just wanted to get it on here and find out what was wrong with him.

Awesome

Hatchling Member
Heh, I'm not sure if they can dream.

It could've been just a false alarm that went off in his mind, probably because he was still sleepy and something triggered it.

Shy4nn3

Original Poster
I have been thinking about this all day. And i have determined that of course beardies can dream. Especially ones that have been raised in a nourishing environment. We know animals such as dogs and cats dream, and can also think at a surprisingly well level sometimes. So it makes sense that their cute little minds wander while they sleep also.

I wonder what beardies dream of... =)

Jamiedog

Sub-Adult Member
Since a large part of dreaming is believed to originate in the brain stem - the most primitive part of the brain, the bit that all animals have, even those that have very little beyond that - it's definitely possible a beardie could dream. :)

Shy4nn3

Original Poster
okay you guys...

last night my beardie fell asleep on me, like normal. I put him down in his house and he stayed asleep. I put is blankie over his back and tail and let him be. I came back to check on him in 20 minutes and he was sleeping with his head up, eyes shut, and mouth slightly agape, i said his name a few times and he did not flinch. In about 10 minutes i checked again and his mouth was shut but his head was still up. Is this normal also? I do not want to be paranoid about it if I do not need to be.

And change of subject a bit but he is doing it right this moment... When he gets up into his basking spot (the past few days) he has strected out his beard. He is not shedding near it so that can not be a reason I do not think. But he puffs it out about 3 times and wiggles his body a bit and then just sits there basking. Is this normal or is something stuck in his throat??

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
All three of my babies would on occasion sleep with their heads up in the air. I have yet to figure out what causes this or why, but I had always just let them be.

As for the stretching out of the beard, that's also normal. Pookie would do that first thing in the morning (I call them his "morning stretches") and the rest would do it when they're basking. I believe it's their way of getting some cool air.

Sashee

Sub-Adult Member
I totally just thought of The Hangover... "What do beardies dream of when they take a little beardie snooze?/Do they dream of eating crickets?/Or Halle Berry in a Superworm suit?"

pyrovamp

Hatchling Member
lol thats all kind of funny i think bowen my little one ate a cricket in his sleep he was all fine and then started smacking his lips together like he was eating lol

TASTIGER

Extreme Poster
Sashee":3gqolyve said:
I totally just thought of The Hangover... "What do beardies dream of when they take a little beardie snooze?/Do they dream of eating crickets?/Or Halle Berry in a Superworm suit?"
that made me laugh so hard! i bet they do dream of insects and other food

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom