Backed up/ very odd b.m./ impaction. Urgent!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright so I'll start with I have a 10 month old male beardie, had previous stress related health issues, but bounced back as soon as I got him and started giving him proper care. He's in a 40b, around 75-80 on the cool side, 99-105 on the basking spot, about 8 inches from basking light and reptisun 10.0 tube. He's been on a diet of supers, just switched him back to crickets and hornworms (dusted) in the last week. Since being with me, he has had many varietys of salads offered everyday (all from the safe list of foods) and when I switched him back to crickets, I also picked up a pellet food for him to have in his tank with him all day. He's been pooping good everyday-every other day up until today/yesterday.
Yesterday, he didn't poop, no problem, gave him a bath and belly massage. Today, he pooped a very small amount w/urate. It was reddish in colour (from the pellet food I presumed, no harmful dyes as far as I know) and he seemed bloated a bit. I took him out, gave him a belly massage in the bath again and dried him off for run around time. He seemed a little lazy, but after a few minutes and a hornworm he picked up the pace and had me running around too lol. I started cleaning/disinfecting his habitat, when I noticed that the "silk leaf" fabricy plant had 2 leaves with what looks like chew marks on them. I immediately took them out, and counted the missing leaves. when I first got the plant a few weeks ago, I waved and wiggled it in his face to make sure he wouldn't try to go for it and he didn't so I figured it would be safe. I had found about 4 or 5 fallen leaves in his habitat and he obviously didn't go for them, I took those out. There's still possibly 1-2 leaves unaccounted for. I'm not sure if they went missing before I put the plant in his tank or if he stupidly ate them :shock: :shock: :shock: . He's had more than adequate food supply since arriving at my house, would he eat the fabric leaves off the plant though? He's been active, alert and colour looks great. Acting normal, except for the poop. I'll be making him applesauce in the morning, with raw honey and oil to hopefully help. This weeks veggies were acorn squash, apples, bok choy, alfalfa sprouts and papaya. Has had 2-3 hornworms every 2 days (depending on their size) and about 30 crickets everyday.

So I gues I'm wondering two things here,
1. Would he have been able to poop at all if he ate one or two of these fabric leaves (about an inch squared), or is his weird poop due to his recent diet changes? (I'm really really hoping it's from the diet)
2. Fearing he's impacted from the plant, I will be taking him to the vet in the morning as I do not have a way to vets tonight in the snow and it is already 2:30am. What is the most you've personally payed for a vet visit for impaction? I'm trying to get a ball park number before I go to vet so I can prepare myself if I need to borrow money off of someone to cover the difference...

Thank you for any advice!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, his strange colored b.m was likely from the pellet food and I don't think if he ate a small piece of fake leaf it would impact him at all. Beardies swallow + pass things much larger [ one poster's beardie ate an entire sandwich bag and never became ill and passed it almost a month later, with b.m.'s in between ! and yes, there were pictures of it :shock: ]

So i wouldn't worry a bit...and remember that as they get older they do not always poo every day. No need at all for a trip to the vet.

Carmalitaaa

Original Poster
Oooooo thank goodness!!!!! I was so worried, I will keep up with everything and hopefully he will pass them.

Thats so crazy about the sandwich baggy! So crazy that the beardie passed it!

Carmalitaaa

Original Poster
Update. He had a very normal bm yesterday, normal colour, urate... that day was a panic for the animals in my house, thought I was going to need 2 vet visits, one for one of my cats and one for beardie! I'm glad they're both doing perfectly fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlameBeardie
Top Bottom