Backed up, big white chalk..

Status
Not open for further replies.

LennyTheLizardKing

Juvie Member
He hasnt had much of an appetite so i thought okay its because he needs to make a bowel movement, it was a few weeks ago last time he went. Around august 4 he had a bunch of superworms 15+. I bathed him lots almost everyday for about a week or so, giving him lots of water through a syringe. Massaged his stomach. He looked very full and i noticed on his side where his stomach is, his skin was twitching almost like there was an alive superworm in there. so i vaselined up a Q-tip after a nice bath gently inserting it in his rear, once i broke the seal a few drops of clear fluid came out. I rubbed his stomach a bit and could feel it was full and tight, so i squeezed downward on his belly while lifting his tail forcing him to go and he went. First a huge piece of the white chalk, then the rest.. The piece of urine was realy big and hard, what does this mean??? ((I dont recommend trying this at home you could injure your dragon))

Mach10X

Hatchling Member
I believe your dragon was constipated from the superworms. I'm sure you know the white that comes out is the urates (equivalent of pee). It's my understanding that a constipated dragon will be unable to "pee" as the urates travel behind the feces. If the feces were stopped up then the urates would build up quite a bit. I'm no vet, perhaps another member could correct me if I am wrong, but this is what I believe was happening.

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
hard, white urate can be a sign of too much calcium or dehydration. How much calcium supplement are you giving?

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
It could be a combo of things causing this. Dehydration (soak your dragon more often). To much calcium. (supplement 2x a week) and temps. Make sure your temps are spot on if not a touch (and I mean just a touch) high if your feeding suppers.

LennyTheLizardKing

Juvie Member
Original Poster
TheWolfmanTom":3ahc80uw said:
It could be a combo of things causing this. Dehydration (soak your dragon more often). To much calcium. (supplement 2x a week) and temps. Make sure your temps are spot on if not a touch (and I mean just a touch) high if your feeding suppers.
Thanks Tom, I usually give him 1-2 baths per week, usually around 25 mins each time. When the water starts to cool I add hot water so it stays warm. Is this suitable?
My temps are about 102 basking rock, 85 cool side. When he had the congested stomach he would stay under his rock only to cOme out when I get him. Superworms are the easier to find where I'm from. Should I hold back On them until he eats more salad first?

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
The rock? Is it a heat rock??
If it is ditch it and use a lamp system to get better temps. I would run about 105 to 107.
Dragons regulate heat better from above than below.
Soak 3 times a week. The method your using is good.

LennyTheLizardKing

Juvie Member
Original Poster
TheWolfmanTom":3jsyyq6o said:
The rock? Is it a heat rock??
If it is ditch it and use a lamp system to get better temps. I would run about 105 to 107.
Dragons regulate heat better from above than below.
Soak 3 times a week. The method your using is good.
No its not a heat rock, its a circular cement slab on 3 smaller rocks. Kind of like a platform.
Heres some pics of my vivarium. I transformed it from an Armoire. (Some pics are a few months old except the bottoms labeled Aug 22
Armoire2.jpg

010.jpg

028-1.jpg

033.jpg

023.jpg

022.jpg

These pics were from yesterday Aug 22. There is a towel over the concrete platform
DSC01694.jpg

DSC01695.jpg

DSC01691.jpg

DSC01689.jpg

After his bath he was eye bulging so i caught an upclose pic
DSC01693.jpg

DSC01692.jpg

Hes not a big salad eater so i rarely dust it. His supers i try to dust them whenever i can but sometimes hes finicky. He will eat bok choy sometimes, i currently have collard greens which i've tried to feed him plenty in the past but i dont think he likes them.
Maybe i should try mixing them with choy and hold off on the supers??
Invest in some phoenix worms or dubia roaches??
I put a beetle in his cage once (morphed super)and his eyes lit up and he stuck out his tongue and chomped it

Mach10X

Hatchling Member
Dubia Roaches have made my life much easier. I used to do supers for a few months because they were so much cheaper than silks and easier to keep than crickets. Just make sure you have a good place to put them where you can keep them warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smallfry_Zoey
Top Bottom