Back Legs Twitching?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajkry2

Gray-bearded Member
how about substrate :dontknow: just trying to rule out possibilities...

you don't have particle substrate, do u?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Jacqui,

You know that you can PM me anytime, ok? I am not too busy for you. :D
You have gotten great advice. This is somewhat of a hard case.
I have double checked the data on this light, & since you are using the 160watt, this particular wattage for whatever reason, has not caused any problems that I am aware of right now. The Powersun 100watt is the culprit, due to a manufacturer's fault of having too thin of phosphorus coating on the inside of the lamp face. That was what had caused the eye problem with the 100watt, too strong of UVB at that recommended distance with leakage of possible UVC & the UV index was higher at that distance than it was at the same distance with the 160 watt.
Having said that, I am pretty confident that is it not your bulb. It should be good for at least 10 months, possibly 1 year. Now, bear in mind that it is not as good as the Megaray or the T-rex by any means, but, it IS sufficient enough to provide adequate UVB exposure. The UVB readings per Frances' UVB meter testing did show in November 2008, that it was 90uW/cm2 with a UV index of 5.4 @ a distance of 12 inches. I have no reason to believe that they have altered the Powersun 160 watt bulb since there have been no reported problems thus far with them.

The only things that I can think of that could be causing this type of problem would be a nutritional deficiency or imbalance, the inability for her to absorb calcium for metabolic reasons, etc, or you have a faulty bulb. The calcium that you use, is it plain or does it have the added D3 to it?
If it has D3 in it then, you will need to cut that supplement out & just use plain calcium. They can get "hypervitaminosis D" from excessive D3 supplementation. What type of greens are you feeding her?
How do her urates look right now? Are they hard, off colored, or soft & white?
Are you noticing any other problems such as deviations in the tail, etc?
In any case, it might be a good idea to consider switching to liquid calcium for awhile, just in case she is having trouble absorbing the powdered calcium for some reason. There are quite a few reports on dragons who have some trouble absorbing the powdered calcium.

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes Lance, hypothiaminosis, which is "somewhat" of a nutritional problem. That can be caused by an imbalance of calcium to phosphorus ratios, or just a metabolic disturbance for one reason or another, genetic factors, etc. All dragons are not created equal & need varying amounts of nutrients.
Thiamin deficiency can mimic metabolic bone disease, yes. :D

Tracie

jacqui778

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Are those all serious problems or is it just the names that make them sound that way? :roll:

Thanks for the info on the PowerSun. I think that, when this bulb need replacing, I will go with a MegaRay. Then I can just kinda skirt around all this health stuff involving the bulb.

I believe the calcium does have D3. It shouldn't, should it? Shoot.
MoMo is eating collard greens, romaine lettuce, and butternut squash. I've also been giving her some babyfood (chicken, squash, and applesauce) since her digestive tract has had a bit of trouble digesting the legs of the crickets (she upgraded to a bigger size) that she has been eating.
Her urates are always white and moist, probably soft (I prefer not to touch them....). I don't feel anything hard when I clean up her poo, anyway.
Her tail seems normal. Nothing suspicious there.

How would I go about giving MoMo liquid calcium? Would I have to get her a syringe with a needle? She's still small, about 9 inches long from tip to tip, and I don't want to hurt her. I give Gem her liquid calcium by forcing her mouth open, but that can't possibly be a good idea with MoMo....
I have a liquid Vitamin B supplement. Should I give her a small amount daily? How would I go about giving her THAT?

Jacqui

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
jacqui778":c4926 said:
Are those all serious problems or is it just the names that make them sound that way? :roll:

Thanks for the info on the PowerSun. I think that, when this bulb need replacing, I will go with a MegaRay. Then I can just kinda skirt around all this health stuff involving the bulb.

I believe the calcium does have D3. It shouldn't, should it? Shoot.
MoMo is eating collard greens, romaine lettuce, and butternut squash. I've also been giving her some babyfood (chicken, squash, and applesauce) since her digestive tract has had a bit of trouble digesting the legs of the crickets (she upgraded to a bigger size) that she has been eating.
Her urates are always white and moist, probably soft (I prefer not to touch them....). I don't feel anything hard when I clean up her poo, anyway.
Her tail seems normal. Nothing suspicious there.

How would I go about giving MoMo liquid calcium? Would I have to get her a syringe with a needle? She's still small, about 9 inches long from tip to tip, and I don't want to hurt her. I give Gem her liquid calcium by forcing her mouth open, but that can't possibly be a good idea with MoMo....
I have a liquid Vitamin B supplement. Should I give her a small amount daily? How would I go about giving her THAT?

Jacqui

The calcium should not be with d3 with those bulbs! Just plain calcium!! And you can try the vitamin b for a while! It would just help give a boost! The only way is to give it by mouth! However the vet can do it by injections! But the best thing to do would be to go to the vet and get bloodwork done to rule things out! Again just my 2cents! Tracie can better assist on this!! :D

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I think to completely rule out a calcium deficiency you would need a blood test. At this point, it "could" be a slight oversupplementation
which might have thrown off her calcium levels in one direction or the other which will cause problems.
You could try some brewer's yeast that is rich in the B vitamins that she could be deficient in.
I would switch to the Megaray when it is time to change out your bulb, it would be a good idea I agree.
Good that her urates are soft & white though & not discolored.
Did she have any seizures or twitching today?
How is she doing today?

Tracie

jacqui778

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
She's been absolutely fine lately. She's been trying to eat the buttons and the picture of herself on my phone, so she can't be in pain or anything. :roll: Creamy belly, no stress marks, nothing. She hasn't been seizing. She hasn't twitched for quite some time now-- about 2 days. MoMo's been getting into mischief as well, today she tried to eat my toast. :lol:

I'd like to think that her issue is resolved, as she seems perfectly normal. I haven't been dusting her crix since I shouldn't be using the D3 stuff, and I've just been giving her more PWs.

She's been eating a lot more greens for some reason or another. She tries to eat anything green-- she pulled the green scrunchie out of my hair yesterday, attacked the green light on our speakers, and devours collards like she's starving. Would you recommend getting a blood test, or should I wait and see how she does for awhile before taking her? Glad I'm getting report cards in a couple weeks, I can pay for it then.

I'm still not sure how I would go about giving her brewer's yeast or liquid calcium. I suppose I could mix it with babyfood....

I must go as MoMo is attempting to burrow into a nest of wires. :shock:

Jacqui

jacqui778

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
spurlee01":759d1 said:
How much time each day does she get under the lights, Jacqui?

Oh, at least 12 hours. I try to do 12/12. But she gets sleepy early, as I don't get home early enough to give her an afternoon nap now that school is back again, so occasionally she'll come out around 5 and sleep for awhile, which means she gets 10 hours under the light.

Jacqui

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Ok good, for some reason I was thinking they spent almost no time in their vivs. Has the twitching happened again when she wasn't near the hot air?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Jacqui,

It sounds like she is doing better now. I hope that perhaps she was just getting too much calcium supplementation which was causing an imbalance in nutrients & minerals.
Well, since she seems to be improving, you can wait until you get some pay to get a blood test done on her just to check her levels.
You can mix the brewer's yeast & the liquid calcium (dosed) in with her food pretty easily that way.
So she is eating well too? Good she seems to be maintaining a great appetite. I hope that she does not have anymore seizures or twitching in the near future. Please keep us posted on her.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom