Back flips....uh ooo

Status
Not open for further replies.

baneakira

I recently posted about my little beardie Nala, it seemed like she was getting better yesterday, but today is a whole other story. She didn't eat ANYTHING today and I very worried she keeps shaking her head around in like circles and just started doing backflips...she starts climbing up her branch and falls right off. I contacted the guy who sold them to me, (he breeds hundreds of them and of course has a few for himself also) and he said to try and be as least invasive as possible....I'm trying to do so and he keeps giving me really great advice but he can't always get back to me right away. I don't know whats wrong with her I can't take her to the vet for a few days still (til pay day) and I really don't want to lose her....I just don't understand why she has this strange behavior, she was completly fine when I brought them home aside from usual getting used to, other than that the male seems more than healthy, he eats really well and is quite active and is very friendly and loves the attention...but the female on the other hand just seems like she wants to be left alone, and she looks very off....like her balance and equalibrium or something.....anyone with advice on this type of behavior PLEASE I'm really scared for her!!! I tried to upload a video of her actions but I couldn't get it to work :(

Khammy87

Yeah, that almost sounds like a vestibular problem to me.. I am not sure of the structural anatomy of a bearded dragon's ear or how their equilibrium works, but when mammals get vestibular problems they can shake their head, tilt their head, or even get as bad as rolling over. I would say to take out her climbing apparatuses until she is able to be seen by a veterinarian, just so that way she isn't hurting herself. If you look at her eyes, do they dart from side to side?

Gail

BD.org Addict
Ear infection or respirator infection can also cause behavior like this, she really needs a vet ASAP. I second the removal of anything she can climb on to prevent falls, maybe even put some soft towels down to protect her. Make sure she is keeping hydrated and if possible, try to get some kind of food down her.
I took in a baby with similar symptoms and she was able to eat baby food as long as I kept her eyes covered.

Khammy87

I also know from gecko experience that sometimes poor breeding can lead to genetic disorders similar to what you describe. Keep us updated and I'd schedule with a qualified veterinarian.

baneakira

Original Poster
Yes I'll sched an apt tomorrow...I'm so scared for her and now she's just laying there on her right side of her head she wont hold her head up at all...I'll put some towels down so its soft and take all branches out. I'm thinking b/c I had a red light in there it was messing with her eyes and she couldn't see properly and started to freak out....and maybe she fell off her branch and messed up something in her ear or head. I'll keep posted on what the vet says.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Definitely let us know what the vet says. Vestibular problems are somewhat common.
They can be caused from genetic problems, dehydration, nutritional problems, a cyst or node on the cervical area causing balance issues, or too low of humidity.
Do you have her housed alone?
Be sure to have a bright white light for her basking instead of a red light. Do you use a UVB light also?

Tracie

baneakira

Original Poster
I have them housed together and they seem to enjoy eachother, they are both the same age. Should they be seprate? When she flails her head around it doesn't look like she is trying, it looks like she is having a spazm or something, but if she is too close to the wall she hits her head so I'll put her in the middle and she'll lay there, I took out all climbing things and put a soft towel down so she doesn't get hurt, I got her to drink a lil water but she wont eat, I bathed her in warm water and put her back, also i heard that you shouldn't have the lights on at night so i turned them out and the temp seems fine just worried b/c i never had them in all dark before...have you seen this behaivor before? I'm a little nervous about even handling her to try and feed her and bathe her, I had to hold her head up in the bath today b/c she would just put her head in the water :cry: I feel so bad for her.

baneakira

Original Poster
Ok so my little Nala goes to the vet tomorrow. I'm eager as to what hes going to say. I'll keep posted on how she is today and what the vet says tomorrow.

jeritta

Sub-Adult Member
i hope she is feeling better soon. please let us know how she is and what the vet says. (((hugs))))

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Please let us know how she is doing & how things go at the vets.
This is a possibility of it being a calcium problem, or some other type of nutrition deficiency perhaps.
Poor girl, it sounds like she is somewhat weak also, if she wont keep her head up in her bath.
They need roughly a 12 hour day light cycle & a 12 hour night cycle with no lights for good rest overnight. Right now, they are probably fine together, but if they are a male & a female then they will need to be separated soon as they can try to mate too young sometimes.
Are they from the same clutch?

Tracie

baneakira

Original Poster
I'm not sure if they are or not....I did email the guy that sold them to me to ask him some questions about them, (b-day, mother, ect.) hopefully he gets back to me before I go. yea she is really weak...I did have to force feed her last night but I got down some chix baby food mixed with water and a lil calcium, her belly fattened back up and she was looking ok, but then she started opening her mouth like she was gagging or still trying to swallow her food, but everytime she opened her mouth nothing was in there. I don't know I just hope we go in today and they say "Thats an easy fix she'll be just fine!" I'll let you know when we get back!!

baneakira

Original Poster
I took Nala to the vet today, and she said that she seems fine and looks great, and she did stop shaking her head and is just all about relaxing now. I prolly could have saved the money from going b/c she said all of the same things that you all have already told me, but Im glad I went, better safe then sorry!!! So it looks like my lil Nala girl will be just fine!!! :) that makes me and my son VERY happy!!! Thanks to all who gave me advice!!

Monkey

Juvie Member
There is a parasite that hit rats that cause twisted heads and similar symptoms. I am not sure if reptiles can get it, but it's mycoplasma.
it might have stirred up cause of relocation stress and once she got settled and her imune system kicked in she fought it off.
However, keep an eye on her, mycoplasma is a very bad bad bug.
here's about it in tortoises..
http://www.tortoise.org/archives/brown1.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC87716/

It says here that it's rarely fatal in animals, that might be in reptiles, in rats (if it's the same or a related) it leads to an early death and a lot of medication. I'd say that all the rats in any petstore carries it PERIOD. Fromt he little reading I found it seems like reptiles handles it better, but you have two beardies together, that is rarely good, male often stresses females that together with relocation stress might have triggered it. IF that is now what it is..

Did she listen tot he lounges? everything there was fine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom