babysitting

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammmycakes

Hatchling Member
i'm babysitting a bearded dragon while the family goes to florida. I knew nothing about the family or the beardie until he was dropped at my house.

He is horribly skinny and had no UVB whatsoever. This beardie seems to be sighing a lot and I'm wondering if he has an upper respiratory infection?

I gave him a bath to see if he needed to be hydrated and he seemed to gasp for air but did drink some of the water.

If it is a URI is that airborne and will my other lizards get it?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I'm not sure URI are contagious (I think it's usually a husbandry problem that allows it to set in) but I would practice quarantine with the guest dragon, since it may be of questionable health. Keep it in a completely separate room, handle, feed and clean his cage last after all your own animals. Wash you hands thoroughly and change clothes when you are done.

Poor little one :( that must have been a horrible shock for you.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Beardies with a UYI can possibly infect other dragons that are healthy. I would quarantine him as taterbug said away from other dragons in the house. I would not handle him without washing your hands well before and after. Keep all of this things separated from your other dragons things also so you don't cross contaminate.

sammmycakes

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
unfortunately he passed away.
he was very very ill, i took him to the vet yesterday after he was gurgling and gasping and my vet said he had full blown pneumonia.. wasn't much hope but I bought the antibiotics anyways.
atleast i tried...

thanks for the advice.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
I hope the family that owns him is not to upset. You did what you could but in the conditions he was in, its not surprising and with a URI. At least hes not suffering anymore the poor thing. I am sorry this happened while he was in your care but I also know he was brought to you sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom