Baby's eyes won't open, hardly eats. Tail rot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alliewinks

My baby bearded dragon has had one eye closed for about a day, and I was waiting to see if maybe he would open it up eventually, but today both of his eyes are closed up and he hasn't ate since yesterday morning. I try to hand feed him but he gets scared because he can't see. He hasn't moved much either. I haven't changed much from when he was healthy, except I have added giving him a few small mealworms to his diet, as his size seemed to allow it. He is still pooping, although it seems to be more grey than black. I'm very worried. When I tried to pick him up a little (he was hanging off his hammock) he got very frightened. He didn't ever really allow me to pick him up yet, so I avoid it if I can...

He is a little over a month old. I bought him with another one, but recently separated them, maybe a week ago.

Our tank is 4 feet long and 12 inches deep, a 50 gallon tank. We have reptile carpet, a 100 watt Sunglo light, and a 75 watt basking spot light. The tank is approximately 100 degrees in the daytime, and 65 degrees at night. I keep water in the tank. He has grapevines, and two hammocks under the basking bulb, and a hiding spot on the other side of the tank.
Maybe the tank is too big for him right now? I just don't know what to do...

ALSO-Part of his tail fell off after I bought him. The woman who sold him to me told me he got nipped by another dragon. It was bent when I bought him, and from the bend up turned black and died and fell off. Now there's a tiny scab looking thing on the tip, and I'm hoping it's not working its way up. It is very small, so I can't really compare it to anything....he's a little guy.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I would take him to see a vet. He probably has an infection going on right now. Do you have any pictures you could post for us to see?
Are you using a UVB light? The basking light is fine, along with the secondary basking light, too. Are you using a digital probe or a temp gun to measure the temperatures?

If you need help finding a vet, try:

www.herpvetconnection.com

Have you got any chicken or turkey baby food you could feed him right now? That would help out getting some food into him. Use a plastic dropper or syringe to drip food on the end of his nose. Put a small pinch of calcium in the food, too.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom