Baby suddenly staying under rock... but eating/pooping normally

cpBD

Beardie name(s)
Sully
Hi everyone, I have a question.

I’ve had Sully (about 9 weeks old) for 10 days. He’s been adjusting well (eating Dubias (dusted with calcium or multivitamins one meal/day according to Karrie’s recs), though won’t tough greens), stress marks went away after about 4 days, poop looks healthy. Can’t get him to drink water, but I’ve been hydrating the Dubias, misting him a couple of times a day, and he has several shallow dishes of water available at all times.

The basking area temps range from 95 - 110, and he spends most of his time in the basking spots that are on the cooler end of that range.

The UVB bulb I have is Arcadia Desert T5 12% (long tube), and it’s inside the enclosure. The cool side is 80-85.

Today, he was in his normal sleeping spot (which is in his basking area) when he woke up, and stayed there for about 90 minutes after the lights came on, which is typical for him. Ate a bunch of Dubias (that I hand-fed him), and then went under his basking rock, which he doesn’t normally do. He’s been there most of the day. He’s moved around a bit, and also ate more Dubias that I fed to him while under the rock. He’s looking and acting healthy, except for this change in behavior.

He does seem to be about to or in the early stages of a shed—has been rubbing his face on things quite a bit the last couple of days. Could that be why he’s doing this? What else should I be looking out for?

I appreciate any thoughts!

cpBD

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sully
Okay, now that I posted that, he of course came out from under the rock, ran around exploring and was as active as I've ever seen him... and now he's basking normally. So it seems that he's fine, but I'm still curious as to whether shedding could be a reason he'd hide out for a bit, or what else?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Okay, now that I posted that, he of course came out from under the rock, ran around exploring and was as active as I've ever seen him... and now he's basking normally. So it seems that he's fine, but I'm still curious as to whether shedding could be a reason he'd hide out for a bit, or what else?
Dragons will go to the light they need bask for however long they need to - sometimes temps are too hot or too cool after some adjustments after we do some trial and error then they go back to normal behavior- shedding will cause the scratching on decor and it can effect appetite as well-

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
23parkera
Top Bottom