Baby loses half his crickets!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so I finally got the teeny crickets, about the size of my pinky nail and smaller ... Smaller than the space between his eyes..

But Papi keeps losing them all over the cage! He doesn't even see them! I have to keep flicking them toward his face!! What the heck? He always found the regular smalls, but many of them were more like the width of his head rather than his eyes. These babies don't crunch even!

And superworms aren't good for a guy who's about 9.5 inches right? Don't know how old yet, going to the special reptile breeder Saturday.

althought lara is eating larger crickets then what your's is, i find its alot easier for her if i remove the things from her tank when i drop them in, she sees them and htey have less places to hide. This way she gets her full meal in, and then i put her stuff bak in and she goes right back to basking

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
momof2boys":2cf88 said:
Okay so I finally got the teeny crickets, about the size of my pinky nail and smaller ... Smaller than the space between his eyes..

But Papi keeps losing them all over the cage! He doesn't even see them! I have to keep flicking them toward his face!! What the heck? He always found the regular smalls, but many of them were more like the width of his head rather than his eyes. These babies don't crunch even!

And superworms aren't good for a guy who's about 9.5 inches right? Don't know how old yet, going to the special reptile breeder Saturday.

Hi,

Ah, I'm sorry Papi's losing track of the little crickets. Arg, I hate having to scare up those darned things! :? Indeed, those tiny ones do lack "crunchability!" I've been ordering crickets online for the last several months now so I can choose the exact size I get, as at the pet store, it really tends vary. They also tend to have either small or large, rarely anything in between, and that's hard when you have an 'in between' beardie. Our girl is 12+ inches and eats 1/2 inch easily now, heading toward 3/4. At 9 1/2 inches, I'd imagine the 3/8 size is probably much more to your Papi's liking, yes?

Indeed, no superworms before 15, 16 inches. However, phoenix worms are lovely for growing babes/juvies: http://www.phoenixworms.com. They have a decent fat/protein ratio so if need be, can be used as a staple. We feed a combo of crx/pw. PWs are also full of natural calcium, and lauric acid which is helpful in combating coccidia, so in that, are a nice complement to the crickets.

Sorry again about those darn little "hidey hoppers!" You might try feeding in a separate, empty container (a rubbermaid tub with a towel on the bottom for traction can work well). We have been doing this since upgrading to a larger tank. No more hunting down hidden crickets (I can't reach them anymore!), and no more cricket poop in the enclosure so it stays very clean. :mrgreen:

Best of luck!

Em

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom