Baby Hasn't Grown an Inch in 3 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmmyandVael

Hello,
I had started a topic in the feeding section but I'm getting more and more worried about my baby girl. I got her and another beardie from a local breeder She(Emmy) is now 4 months old and still VERY small compared to my male dragon (Vael) who is only 2 weeks older.

My female BD wont eat her crickets. When she does eat them it is only 3-5 :-S My 2 beardies were housed together but the size difference is just to great. So now she is in a 20g until my bf finishes the Viv then she will be in the 60g.

She has been in her own tank now about a week. She's still not interested in crickets, doesn't even notice them most of the time... I kind of tricked her into eating a couple of dusted ones today by playing a 'game' with her... I would drop a mealie in front of her and she would gobble that up quick and then i would drop a cricket and she didn't mind eating it thinking it might be another mealie, but i think she caught onto my trick and stopped eating all together. She is usually really good with her greens too but the past couple of days I've had to drop it right in front of her face for her to be interested.

Her temps are about 100-105 basking and 80ish on the cool side.
She has greens and water available to her all the time and bath every other night
a Reptisun 10.0 tube
usually poops twice a day sometimes 2

Any Idea's for how I can get my baby to eat better? Do some beardies just never eat crickets? If she wont eat how can i supplement her calcium and vitamins?

dragon002.jpg

dragon007.jpg

dragon008.jpg

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Ok hi there,
It may take a week or so for her to adjust to here new home. Whenever I had a troublesome eater I would get some pheonix worms. I never had a beardie refuse them. After a week of those the appitite is in full swing and they would eat anything that moved. I would put them right in the bowl with the greens.

EmmyandVael

Original Poster
I live in Ontario and I cant get phoenix worms anywhere... do you think small silk worms would help her appetite?

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
That would work. Bumb your basking temp to about 115 as well. My beardies will always go for a worm over a cricket anyday. Just avoid meal worms. they have a high shell to meat ratio and its hard for your dragon to digest them.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
I just wanted to second WolfmanTom's advice... the worms can really help. Our girl was stalled at 6 inches for 3 long months due to a poor compact UVB bulb we had been using. We put her under a ReptiSun 5.0 for an initial upgrade, but she still wasn't eating as much as we'd hoped. When we started the PWs however, her appetite really began to pick up... she's under a TRex MVB now in her new, larger enclosure and she's really taken off (appetite and size wise). And, she now likes crickets as much or even more than the worms... but it took some time for her to work up to that. :wink:

PWs are an excellent feeder as they contain tons of natural calcium, which can be especially good for struggling dragons. If you are able to order, there is a link on the phoenix worms homepage for Canada/Ontario. http://www.phoenixworms.com

Best of luck to you. Hope the baby is eating and growing soon! They are both so dear!

The best,
Em

jacqui778

Sub-Adult Member
Em, you always get to the ones in need before I do! LOL

She gave you perfect advice-- I just wanted to add one thing. You said she's been in her own viv for a week, but you've had her for 3 months. So you're saying you housed the two together?

If so, this could be the major reason why she isn't growing. The other beardie is dominating her, and she isn't getting the light/food/nutrients she needs. I'd keep her in her own viv from now on, so this doesn't happen again.

-- Jacqui

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
jacqui778":df438 said:
Em, you always get to the ones in need before I do! LOL

Ah yes, I may have gotten here first, but you've caught an important factor here... so good thing you happened along, Jacqui! :)

You said she's been in her own viv for a week, but you've had her for 3 months. So you're saying you housed the two together?

If so, this could be the major reason why she isn't growing. The other beardie is dominating her, and she isn't getting the light/food/nutrients she needs. I'd keep her in her own viv from now on, so this doesn't happen again.

Totally agree, second this! The good news is many beardies, once in their own habitats with proper husbandry, can bounce back, but I imagine it will take her some time as she's behind in growth, and is not used to eating "her share." Our beardie was stunted due to a poor UVB light early on, but now in her new enclosure with excellent equipment has really taken off, but it was an incremental rise in appetite, in which the PWs really helped so I hope you see same!

It's good that you've separated them, as Jacqui mentioned, this is likely the reason she is not eating well/is small. It's a fairly common scenario brought on by housing two together. Solitary, territorial creatures that beardies are, once becomes dominant, the other defers, and therefore does not thrive.

Best of luck. Hope your dear dragon is up and eating well soon.

Em

spyder79

Extreme Poster
on top of using phoenix worms you could try and use dubia roaches. they will make a huge difference in growth due to their extremely high protein levels. just a suggestion.
they are what i fed my male from 3 months to date (from 3 months to 9 months he went from 12 inches to 21 inches) current size is 22 inches and 550 grams.

brian
cryptic dragons

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Just a comment. I wouldn't necessarily bump the temps up to 115 especially if she is in a smaller tank, they don't like it quite that hot.
I would keep the temps between 95-110 as that is the recommended temps & they tend to do much better in those ranges. The higher temps can expedite dehydration as well.
I would give her a little time to adjust to her new surroundings. She should eventually come around, but has been a little stunted being housed with another dragon.
You could get some bee pollen to help stimulate her appetite a little bit.

Tracie

EmmyandVael

Original Poster
So she has been in her little tank for over 2 weeks now she is still NOT eating crickets she eats her greens everyday (not all but quite a bit) I still offer her crickets every day in her tank. She's in there right now with about 20. I think she might be really afraid of them.
The story I was given when I got her is that she had a cricket on her hand and a clutch mate bit it off (cricket and hand all in one go?)

I started offering her wax worms and she wont eat them i got her silk worms and she LOVES them but it cost me $8 for TEN!!!! I thought about getting her roaches but I cant get them in Canada.

Worst Of ALL!!... I'm moving to Edmonton for 3 months and leaving her with my boyfriend and shes going to be moved AGAIN... I feel terrible for moving her so much but I have to so that she can be taken care of.

Someone said something about Bee Pollen I've Never heard of this I looked it up but I still don't Understand... i just offer her bee pollen? and her appetite comes back like that? :S sounds to good to be true really. But I hope someone can get back to me soon because I leave on the 30th...

PuffMagic

Juvie Member
I live in Canada as well and have a roach breeder in Canada (It is illeagal to ship over state lines but not within Canada). I will PM you (EmmyandVael) with the info.

Tracie I would also like more information about the bee pollen. Is this something you purchase in a petstore and how do you give it to them? What about the bee pollen that makes it stimulate their appetites?

EmmyandVael

Original Poster
Well I'll Try The Bee Pollen There Is A Few Organic Stores I'll Try In Town, And I'm Pretty Sure There Is A Bee Farm Just Outside Of Town, I'll Check Those Places Before I Buy Online.
Thank You Everyone! If This Works I'll Be SOO Happy I'll Make A Big Post About It Because I know Lost Of People On Here Have Picky Eaters!! I've Never Heard About It Before So Maybe Its A Well Kept Secret That Really Works!!! Fingers Crossed! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom