Baby Falkor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. New dragon mom here. Falkor is (I’m guessing) about 2 months old and is almost 8” long.
100526-2816647152.jpg

I’ve only had him for a week, so I’m atill working on handling him. But he’s getting better and more used to it. I just worry that I’m stressing him out when I do. I’ve read the forums before joining so I’m trying a little bit of everything. Haven’t tried the clothing yet. And he will eat from my hand but I only hand feed one or two times each time I hold him.. and sometimes not at all (since I won’t always have food when I’m holding him). He’s a healthy eater though, went through 6 dubia roaches yesterday and has already done a full body shed (which was adorable). Y roommate also has a baby beardie, about 2 months old but only 5-6” so I’m thinking he’s maybe 2 weeks younger than my Falkor. He’s not a voracious an eater though, maybe 2 roaches each time, but he does love squash.

Anyway, just introducing myself and Falkor. I’ll see if I can get a good picture of Dumbledore (the roommates beardie).

dezismom

Juvie Member
Welcome to the forum! Falkor is adorable!
They are more skittish and have short attention spans at this age, but at about six months, they start to be very tame and easy to handle, if handled as a baby. They just want to be snuggled all the time. I handle new babies from the first day, several times a day. Yes, they may seem a bit stressed at first, but they calm right down with gentle patience and frequent handling. Just keep the sessions very short, to match their short attention span. (a couple of minutes, with my recent rescue is all she wants. Each one is different)
Always hold him over your lap, to prevent a bad fall if he makes a fast break away. I hold my new baby, Penny in one hand, while talking in a low, soft voice, and breathing on her, so she can recognise my scent. I keep all movement slow, relaxed and quiet. Gently rub the eyebrow ridge. They like that. He may close his eyes, as a sign of trust and submission...good! Place back in viv at first signs of struggle, to keep the encounter positive. He will be a snuggle bug in no time!

Penny demonstrating a taming session...
82765-1339592333.jpg

Dezi . This is an older, more relaxed beardie, getting his snuggles....
82765-5511765699.jpg

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. We love to help our beardie friends! Please keep us updated on Falkor and Dumbledor.

Falkorsmom

Original Poster
Falkor waves sometimes... he has never hissed or bearded at me. He just sort of tries to scamper away. I don’t want to say I chase him, but I continue to try to hold him until he calms down and then I put him back on one of his favorite perches. He has closed his eyes a few times while I’ve pet his back or his head. I think he’s only done it twice, but it’s better than none!! This is Dumbledore
100526-9531079568.jpg

He’s definitely smaller but is way more alert now that he’s settling more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom