Baby dragons won't grow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terminator7777

Juvie Member
I have had my dragons for like almost two months now and barely have grown maybe alittle. What should i do for them. What is the best diet for active growing baby dragons. I got my order today for reptiworms silkworms and phoenix worms and havent tryed hornworms yet cant find them. They dont eat crickets and mealworms just waxworms and greens maybe cause for some reason they get the greens all over the tanks. I use everything ppl on here recommend reptisun but one tank doesnt have a reptisun cause the fixture is in the mail and have no 24" inch bulb yet so for now i have to use the zilla desert 50 coil bulb. The temps are 105-122 different all the time and cool side 80. They are 12-13 weeks old i think. I just dont no what to do i have tryed tons of different stuff and just wont eat.

NightmareDisco

Sub-Adult Member
Well, I know that you shouldn't use a coil bulb, but I'm glad you have the other in the mail. Wax worms don't have much nutritional value and are very fatty. Have you tried phoenix worms? Those are great for them. The won't eat crickets? What kind of greens do you feed? If nothing else, you could try syringe feeding them baby food mixed with critical care. If you haven't already, I would suggest getting a fecal test done to make sure they don't have parasites.

Good luck!

Terminator7777

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yes i have tryed phoenix worms and reptiworms and i think these two are similar. I feed romaine mixed with collard greens and carrots once in the great while. I think that would help baby food turkey or chicken mixed with that other stuff. Fecal i have had done and found no parasites just a bit to much water in there diet cause they have a little runny stools.

NightmareDisco

Sub-Adult Member
hmmm, well that is good that they are parasite free. I would offer the veggies every day, even if the don't eat them. The romaine doesn't have much nutritional value.

Terminator7777

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I just add romaine for abit of water intake and they have greens the whole the lights are on so when lights go out so does greens lol.

ocrage

Hatchling Member
just curious, how old are you?

how much food are you offering and how often?

what sort of substrate are you using?

122 is too high, shouldnt get above 115 at the top of their basking area. what kind of thermometer are you using?

how many babies do you have?

you should stop feeding the romaine lettuce, thats why they have runny stools and its not good for babies to be having constant diarrhea. just stick to the collard greens and other stuff thats good for them from this list http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

hope all is well

Spookle

NightmareDisco":3hejhojb said:
Have they grown at all? Or just not much? do you keep a log of lengths/weights?

i agree with keeping logs of weights and lengths, if you are with them all the time you dont notice them growing so much, have they been shedding? also do you have them in the same viv? if so i would seperate them so you can see how much each is eating.

Fuzzyviper

Hatchling Member
Temps are much too high for the little guys. Basking should be 105-110 tops for babies. The lettuce can give them runny stools and cause them to lose water this way so it isn't good for them. The baby food might also contribute a little to the runny-ness too. If they don't seem to be eating their feeders, you can try feeding in a separate container to keep track of how many they're eating. How many are there and are they in the same tank? They can bite and dominate each other, causing stress and injury, so they should be separated, even as babies. As other users said, keeping measurements of their length and weight also helps if you're worried that they aren't growing.

Terminator7777

Juvie Member
Original Poster
My age is 23 and with the two months i had them they gotten a bit bigger and no i dont log the length and weight. I offer food twice daily greens and worms and crickets and barely eat. I use paper towel right now but switching to repti carpet next cleaning. I have two babys in different enclosures and i am dropping the 150watt to 100 watt to see temp change then maybe a 75watt. One tank is a 20 gallon long and the other is a exo terra desert 18"/18"/18". They been shedding small amounts at a time they just finished tail shedding now back legs and very soon there back. In the first two i had them this is the second shedding if thats good or not. My main worry is that they barely eat greens and only eat a few pieces daily????

ocrage

Hatchling Member
well them eating greens is nothing uncommon. a lot of beardies don't take to greens until they are 6+months old. just make sure youa re offering them a good amount of reptiworms/crickets/roaches twices daily and you should be fine. as for greens, my guy loves collard greens. where are you from? maybe someone can tell you a good supermarket to go to, i buy my stuff at Ralphs, they have good fresh cheap veggies.

Spookle

I would still put the greens in, my baby didn't eat greens but now has a little taste and has started to eat a little more, i put back the morning feed of crickets till a little later and found the greens are a bit more interesting to the baby, shedding is a good sign they are growing, i think you will find if you keep a log of weights and lengths you will find they are growing, my son see my baby after not seeing him/her for a fre days and said he/she had grown but i couldn't see much difference.

Gail

BD.org Addict
How close can they get to the UVB and is there anything between them and the bulbs? How much/what kinds of supplements are you using?

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
not all beardies grow fast, I got mine in Jan at 5 weeks old. He just turned 7 months old today, He grew a little all the time, but at 6 months old he was 6 1/2 inches long and about 12 grams, I have done everything right, but within the last month he is now 7 1/2 inches long and 20.2 grams, some are just slow growers and he didn't eat much either until this last month. If you have everything set up good in the tank and feed them good, just give it time, they will shoot up soon. I was told by people on this site that around 6 months old the slower ones just start growing great, which my little one has.

Terminator7777

Juvie Member
Original Poster
My guys are just a little less then four months old. I was told six inches from uvb lighting and no branchs or anything so everything is below 6 inchs high and there is nothing in the way of the uvb just a bit of fake foliage cause the plant is a bit to big but not a problem. I use tetra fauna vitamins and there calcium with d3 that is mainly the supplements i use. Well for my two guys they eat a little bit of greens more then i would think at there age. I need to feed more feeders cause by the time i go to use them half of the feeders are dead mainly crickets. I gutload the crickets with flukers high calcium gutload container?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixxie
Top Bottom