BABY DRAGON!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SunnysHumanSlave

Hatchling Member
So I am getting my very first hatchling size BD near the end of the month. There expected hatch date is the 26th of this month. (or longer who knows)
I have had BD before but none as young as the one I will be getting. I have a few questions and really need the answers to them.

First is about my cage set up. I have a 40 gallon breeder and was wondering if I need to section of the cage? I wont be feeding cricket I will be feeding phoenix worms and using a laser light to have him chase then landing on the worms so he has that hunting he/she needs. I can and will section off the cage but if its not necessary I would like to know.

I need to know how old the BD should be before I attempt to transfer him/her from my friends house to mine. I imagine about a week??

Next how often should I handle him/her since they would be very small I would think not every day?

Also do I need a hide? I dont have one the one I used to have I tossed out because it was broken.

Should I mist the baby or soak them everyday?

I read in a book the humidity needs to be around 30% not higher than 40% is this correct? How do I control it without it going to high my cage is always about 20% or so.

I have my lights on a timer should I keep them on the 14 hour cycle. I have them set for sunrise to sun set is this a good timer for a baby dragon.

Since I am going to feed phoenix worms I need for someone who has feed them as a staple to tell me how many there hatchling ate. I know they are all different but my little guy I used to have would only eat about 12 a day at 9 inches.

If they wont eat the first few days will he/she be okay? I also read in a book that babies need to be feed everyday or they can die...

Please dont think I am totally clueless. I want success since my previous dragons have never been this small the smallest I had was I think 9 inches so I dont want to do things wrong with this baby. Thank you for putting up with all of my endless questions have a great day.

Gail

BD.org Addict
Do you have to get it while its so young? Most breeders keep babies with them for at least a few weeks. Letting one go at a few days isn't a good idea.

Spike1etta

Hatchling Member
Every time they are moved it stresses them out and they go off feed. If it is at a friends house, why not wait until it is 6" and just visit it until then.

Also a red laser pointer is not a good idea, it can harm the developing eyes.

Gail

BD.org Addict
Yeah, generally you wait until they are 6 inches or 6 weeks old. They won't eat for a day or two after hatching, then they need to eat daily. Babies are so delicate, you really would be better off waiting until its a bit bigger.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
This is probably an idea to seriously consider. I'm sure you want to do everything to ensure you will have a successful experience this time. It is very cool that you would be able to visit it often.

Gail

BD.org Addict
You shouldn't need to section off the cage unless he has trouble finding food or making it back to his basking spot. I also don't suggest using a laser light, too easy to accidentally damage delicate eyes.

Let him get used to the cage for a couple days then start handling daily for short periods of time, even if its just to pick him up for a quick pet.

No hide needed, in fact they are not recommended for a baby who might hide instead of bask.

Soak daily or every other day, no misting. Misting does nothing for hydration. Imagine taking a shower when you are thirsty, feels good but won't help your thirst.

I wouldn't worry about your humidity, its really low where I am and its never been a problem. Extra soaks when shedding is all you need to combat low humidity.

14 hour cylce is good for summer months, in the winter I like to shorten the days to 12 hours.

If the baby is big enough, a few days of not eating won't kill it but try to keep stress low so it will settle in and eat sooner. Using phoenix worms is a good idea, that way it won't have to chase its food.

Try and go to your friends as much as possible and handle it or ask your friend to handle it everyday. It only takes a minute to pick it up, give it a pet and talking too. You would be surprised how much this helps tame a baby in the first few weeks. The breeder should also feed greens from day one, hatchlings will eat greens and introducing them while young will help establish good eating habits.

SunnysHumanSlave

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you very much. I can go over about 2 times a week maybe more. I am volunteering at her house to help with the animals since its baby season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom