BABY DRAGON WAVING TO UROMASTYX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JennR

I recently got a beardie baby, about 4 months old. I also have a Uromastyx who is a few months older. Their cages sit catty corner to one another with only the front of the tank exposed.
I have only had my beardie for 2 weeks when I noticed he was on his basking spot, doing a small arm wave. Do beardies recognize other reptile breeds? Is he waving to show his surrender to the Uro? Does it mean he is afraid of him? And do they recognize if another reptile breed is male or female?
My Uro had his usual Uro scowling face and did nothing in return. Would he have been waving at me? Just curious as I'd not seen him doing this before.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I haven't seen them interact with other species, but I'd imagine they would. Arm waving and head bobbing are some of their primary forms of communication. They certainly do this directed at people and will often do this at reflections too. It's tough to say exactly what the meaning/intent is though. It might just be an acknowledgement. As long as it doesn't start to appear aggressive or stressful, it's probably not cause for concern.

JennR

Original Poster
The same day he did it, I was holding and talking to him and he did it again, so I guess he was doing it to ME?! He didn't act scared though. Do they do that just as if they are trying to communicate with humans?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think so, to an extent anyway. I don't know that it's to convey a thought so much as just an acknowledgement, but I'm not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
23parkera
Top Bottom