Baby Dragon/traumatic experience & changing behavior/health

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 days ago while my sister was watching my 2 sons (4 year olds), the boys got into my room with a chair & one was able to get my 2 month old baby dragon out of his tank. When I came home my sister was oblivious to what had happened. I came into my room to find my baby dragon laying completely flat in his tank with grey eyes, black tail, black beard.. he was 99% unresponsive. I saw a chair lying on the floor & his screen messed up & called my boys to the room. I am not 100% sure what happened because nobody saw them but after lecturing & talking to both of them the story I got included; swinging dragon by his tail, dropping dragon on floor, bouncing dragon on ball, etc. I didn't know what to do in this situation so I just did what I thought would help. First I assessed him, he was completely limp & his legs remained extended when I moved them. I put the dragon in a warm bath & turned his lamp around so he had his lights over him. But he barely moved and I was having to hold his head up. He was breathing around 3-5 resp/min but I am not sure what the resp rate is supposed to be for dragons. After about 10 min I wrapped him in a little wash cloth, held him for a minute. I thought he was in the process of dying. But after thinking about it I decided to put him back in his enclosure because what he went through was very stressful/traumatic. I thought maybe if he did become alert it would scare him or stress him more that I was holding him.

At about 11pm (6 hours later) the little guy opened his eyes. I picked him up and he didn't resist at all. He still wouldn't move his limbs. He wanted to keep his eyes shut, he was very lethargic. Wouldn't move, wouldn't eat, etc. It took about 12 hours, he started moving. I'd put him down and he would walk to other side of tank. Then about 18 hours later he took a bite of greens. He is progressing very very slowly, it has been 48 hours since the incident and he still seems to want to sleep a lot but is eating only veggies/dragon food... he won't eat any insects. He climbs up on his basking rock, and before he will come down to eat he does the arm waving (extremely slow) for about 10 minutes before he climbs down. He was extremely active before this incident, I know nothing is broken, and I just need more insight on what is going on with him.

What should I do to best help him get over this? I have not been overhandling him but I have been "comforting" him. I don't want him to be afraid of me. I've been crying off and on for 2 days because the way he is behaving is SO SAD.. especially compared to how sweet, funny, active, & trusting he was before it happened. My boys had been thoroughly taught that they are not to touch the dragons without me or dad handing them to them & sitting right beside them and they also knew that what they did with the dragon was unacceptable. My sister & my kids were both handled in the appropriate way and I am getting a new enclosure that locks.

Is his arm waving because he is scared to even come down from his rock to eat? ;( Do beardies act like this (sleepy, lethargic, uninterested) for a long time after being under stress/hurt?

BTW I have correct lighting, correct supplements, and our other bearded dragon has his own enclosure in another room.

Wow... I don't know where to begin. That is really tragic...

They have really slow metabolisms and can take multiple days to display the physical effects of injuries on their bodies. It sounds like he is recovering though... as long as he is eating/keeping his eyes open.
All I have to say is make sure he is hydrated. Keep giving him baths and support him so he doesn't drown. It should help him a lot.

I don't know enough about beardie trauma psychology to help you with his personality though... since they recognize people he must know you are not the one who did this to him. Waving is him saying "I am small, don't hurt me". So yes I would have to say his waving is a sign of fear.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
I am so sorry this happened. Poor little one. Keeping him hydrated is very important as a previous poster recommended. I would hold off on insects other than soft worms until he produces normal looking poopers. You can give him baby food in addition to his greens for a bit, if necessary. Mix chicken or turkey with squash or green beans, and feed by dribbling it over his lips with a dropper or syringe. Thin with water if necessary.
I sure hope he improves for you. Please keep us posted on his progress.

txnurseIVAJOY

Original Poster
Thanks so much for your replies.

I have been making sure to keep him hydrated, dripping water on his nose & giving him baths. He had a BM yesterday (day 3 after incident) with yellow urates, and another normal BM. He also had a normal BM today.

I tried small crickets a few times yesterday, and on the 3rd try he ate 1 cricket. He wouldn't chase any of them, though he looked at them eagerly like he really wanted them. He is still extremely sedentary, however today he is more alert as far as keeping his eyes open & he has moved to a few different areas of his enclosure. He hasn't eaten any insects today but he gives them "the look" like he wants to eat them. He ate quite a bit of his greens though which I added calcium w/d3.

He still shows no signs of physical injury. Not favoring any side & is moving all extremities. His color appears normal and abdomen soft, nondistended.

Psychological issues still remain.. He is still doing the arm waving, he will do it for a long time before eating and also randomly throughout the day for long periods of time. I checked all his platforms to see if they were too hot (they werent). I have all sides of his enclosure covered w/tank cling except for the front to make sure he wasn't just seeing his reflection.

Now I'm starting to think he has brain damage. It seems he wants to behave normally but can't. It's hard to explain but for instance he will begin to crawl somewhere (like his food bowl), then stop, then continue.. as if he forgot what he was doing. His reactions to things are slow and he seems very confused. He will get a glazed over appearance, or look at things for an extended period of time for no apparent reason, He will randomly hop down from a log & look around like he doesn't know who he is, where he is, or anything. He acts nothing like he did before the incident. His behavior is somewhat comparable to mental retardation. ;(

So all that being said- I feel absolutely horrible & depressed. I've been a cry baby for the past 4 days. It's weird bc I didn't really even want him the day my husband brought him home. He thought he was going to keep him at his shop (he's a tattoo artist)... & when I explained to him how stupid that was (it's only open 2pm-2am), it was decided we'd keep him at home in our room. My husband doesn't pay any attention to the baby,& only spends time with our older dragon. I am the one that cares them & their needs & tends to them throughout the day. I started feeling bad for the baby after a while & took him out everyday like my husband does with toothless (our big baby). I started bonding with him and after this incident I've realized how much I care about him.

I've done everything I can possibly think of to help him & researched things online.. even replaced his UVB light (2 months early). Constantly checking his temps & what not. I have decided to take him to the vet Tuesday, even though I am a nurse & always think I know everything. I know if my baby continues the way he is right now that he probably won't make it. I'm going to get every test possible, and hopefully more answers. Even if he is brain damaged (permanent or not), I'm still going to do whatever I can to give him the best quality of life possible.

Sorry this is so long.. I'll update again, probably tuesday. Does anyone know what the yellow urates were about? Any more comments, advice, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Here is pictures of "the baby". I am still trying to come up with a name for him..

481888_544894792215610_655396487_n.jpg

485493_538846666153756_478277267_n.jpg

It does actually sound that his health is improving. I wouldn't be surprised if he starts eating multiple crickets in a few days. Have you tried freezing the crickets and putting them in front of them so he can catch them easy? Dont give up on him yet. Yellow urates are either a sign of dehydration (which isn't likely) or oversupplementation which is probably what is happening, so try withholding calcium for a few days and see if that makes a difference.

Personally, I would wait a couple of weeks before taking him to the vet, if at all. He is showing all the best signs of recovering physical health, and going to a place where further potential mental trauma could occur could have a negative impact on his psychological health. He may actually still be in a state of shock as to explain his confusion yet this is just speculation on my part.

If there is anything that will help him now it would be a great amount of compassion. Give him space and time and love him for who he is <3

Edit: keep us updated he is beautiful

wulfie

Hatchling Member
definitely keep us updated, he's such a doll and has been through so much, my heart goes out to you and your baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom