Baby Dragon Not so well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevetc08

Hello my name is Steven and I'm a new bearded dragon owner. I got my baby dragon a few weeks ago nearly a month now, from a local shop near me who has always done right by me with there specialty animals.

So ill list whats in the tank etc, and then list his symptoms.
Btw his name is Louie he is a Leatherback Dragon.

So for right nwo its a 10 gallon, Will be moving into a larger one shortly
He has 3 lights
1) Day/Bask bulb 75W Flukers
2) 25W Night bulb
3) Exo Terra Coil UVB 10.0

Substrate is Reptile Carpet
Heat Rock ( not used any longer just decor)
Various rocks and such for him to climb on.

Now Louie's Diet
Crickets, Wax worms and a small mix of veggies from a pre mix bag ( dehydrated)
Ive tried to give him fruits and various other greens he wont touch them like at all.
Dusted with Calcium with D3

So now for his symptoms:
One day I cam home with wax worms, and i fed him about 5 of them he gobbled them up like crazy. Ever since then he has not been the same at all.

He will not eat ANY crickets even if they are in front of him.
He HARDLY drinks any water, Ive noticed his skin has become saggy. I've tried baths and giving him water.
He wont touch the pre mix salad, and he will not touch fruits or greens at all.
Tonight when i took him out he looked just very sickly, not alert at all, not looking for food, just kept closing his eyes, and being very "bleh" lazy almost like he had no energy left.
I gave him a bath that perked him up a bit but then just kinda closed his eyes and when right back to basking with out eating. He used to have solid brown poos, but now hes lucky to have even a lil bit or pee, almost no poop. I assume that would be because he hasn't eaten. His stool also seemed to be a lil red with blood once or twice. I thought it was due to impaction and I brought him to that place I got him the resident "expert" he said no he was fine that i have to learn how they "are sometimes" I feel like that is a crock of bullshit at this point ( excuse my french)

At this point Im looking to make sure he is alright. I will be contacting a local herp vet seeing what they can do, but in the mean time any suggestions?

I do plan on moving up to a bigger tank ( once i see he will be ok ) also I will get a long tube UVB as Ive read they are the much better choice. Anything I can do to maybe make him eat or is that a bad idea please help if possible I thank you all in advance!

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Sorry hes not well. Do you know your temps and how are you taking them? Its really impossible to get the correct temps in a 10 gallon. The 75 may be to hot for him. Also the uvb is doing more harm then good. Turn it off until you can get a reptisun 10.0 Tube and a bigger tank. He can go 2 weeks max without uvb. If its warm where you live you can take him outside for a few mins to get real sun. Turn off the night light beardies need complete darkness to sleep and to cool down at night. If your house gets below 65 at night then you need a ceramic heat emitter. Wax worms are like candy bars to beardies.

Stevetc08

Original Poster
Well I live in Ny so its deff not warm right now haha, Ok i will turn off that bulb till i get the new one, and Will deff upgrade the tank. Im using a exo terra temp/humidity combo stick for the glass, temps by the basking area reach around 100-110. cool side around 70-80 however hes never ever on that side hes always basking. Is there anything i can give him to make him more lively or at least eat any kinds of formula ? So i know he wont starve.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Those thermometers you have are very inaccurate. Usually off by 20 degrees. You need a digital with a probe or a temp gun. Hopefully once you have his set up correct his appetite will pick up. Yeah I live in Montana I know cold :lol:

Wax worms can make a bearded dragon sick (speaking from experience) and should never be given to a baby. They are too fatty. They make OK treats for an adult, but only as a treat.

Stevetc08

Original Poster
Wax worms can make the baby sick?? Define sick like sick as in tummy ache and won't eat or sick as a disease and will die?? Cuz like I mentioned I cant get him to eat and he ate well before the wax worms. I will deff get the temps right and a bigger tank asap… but in the mean time what can I do to make him have some source of food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EternalAzhrei
Top Bottom