Baby Corn Snake Not Eating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my corn snake on April 13th and tried feeding it on the 17th, 20th and 22nd. I have had no luck with this and I have tried everything that I see online besides live pinkies. I have a little box with breathing holes in it that I put her in with the pinkie and she is not responding. I have tried "braining" it and that time she looked like she might have taken a bite but didn't really eat anything, just blood in the box and the pinkie was kind of pulled apart. I've tried the tapping method where you take feeding tongs and hold the pinkie in front of her and gently tap her on the nose to get her to strike but nothing. I am really concerned for her. She clearly ate some time before we got her and it passed so she should be ready to eat. She has plenty of water, a hide, temps are nice and she seems really happy beside that. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I would really appreciate it. :(

Thanks!

ReptiMama2

Hatchling Member
I'll start by saying that I have a ball python and not a corn snake but my suggestion would be this:

Could she be stressed from a move? If you recently got her and started trying to feed her maybe she is not eating because she is still adjusting to a new environment?
Has she been hunting at all? I know with my python he will actively hunt in his cage when he is hungry and I go by that not a specific time scale for feeding.
I would suggest if she does not start eating soon definatly take her to a vet to have her checked out.

I hope this helps and I hope she starts eating for you soon. Good luck!

ReptarAndChomper11

Original Poster
I have no seen her hunt yet, she's usually just hanging out in her hide or in the hanging greens. I don't see her out very much and that kind of worries me.

psychgrl

Hi!

I actually have three corn snakes, one of which has been a problem feeder. My little guy is about 8 months old and we've had feeding problems from the start. Is yours a baby? I do agree with ReptiMama2 that part of it could be some relocation stress, for sure, and I also notice the hunting behavior in my corns so keep an eye out for that.

I tried everything that you said...braining, teasing with tongs, separate feeding container, washing the pinky, covering the pinky in tuna juice (which supposedly works for some), etc. What I found finally worked the best is actually cutting the pinky in half and only feeding one half per feeding. I also feed him in his viv, which some claim creates more territorial aggression but he's been okay so far. He still doesn't eat at every feeding, more like every other feeding, but it's still better than what it was. He's growing, at least, though slightly slower than my others. I don't know if cutting the pinky in half allows more scent to get out in the feeding area or if it's better for him because it's smaller. I know my other young corn that's about the same age had a regurge that I think was due to the food being too big because he's been fine since.

So maybe try letting her settle in a bit more (as I've found, even the babies can go for quite a while without eating-though it'll stress you out!) and then try cutting the pinky in half. My problem feeder is a bloodred morph which I've heard can be more prone to those issues. Who knows! What morph is your girl?

Good luck and feel free to ask more questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom