Baby born with defect

~AmyNicole~

Original Poster
I would get then separated as soon as possible --- you dont want her injured any more than she is - I would get her into a plastic tote for now 20 gallon to be on the safe side
I have another question, this one is about excavator clay.. I have some, and I broke it down so I could rebuild it again, but now I'm scared to use it.. its growing this white mold? Or bacteria? I'm not sure what it is, but it freaks me out! I love building stuff for them out of it, and I actually spent alot of money on the stuff, especially to not be able to get any use out of it.. I mean, we are talking a couple hundred bucks on the stuff.. I wish I could just go buy more, but I cant..I tried contacting zoo med, but I guess they are blowing me off cause I haven't heard back since I sent them the pics of it.. any ideas?

Attachments

• 20230116_074701.jpg
    20230116_074701.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 20230116_074707.jpg
    20230116_074707.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 20230116_074730.jpg
    20230116_074730.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 73

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have another question, this one is about excavator clay.. I have some, and I broke it down so I could rebuild it again, but now I'm scared to use it.. its growing this white mold? Or bacteria? I'm not sure what it is, but it freaks me out! I love building stuff for them out of it, and I actually spent alot of money on the stuff, especially to not be able to get any use out of it.. I mean, we are talking a couple hundred bucks on the stuff.. I wish I could just go buy more, but I cant..I tried contacting zoo med, but I guess they are blowing me off cause I haven't heard back since I sent them the pics of it.. any ideas?
I cant help w / this but CooperDragon can-- flagging him
@CooperDragon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Here they are.. I can't help but love her, she's definitely not a quitter, I have to try not to baby her too much though, im afraid I'm doing that too much.. and as far as keeping things low to the ground for her, that really doesn't seem to phase her, she gets up on the bridge, the log, even the rope net I have on the side of the enclosure with no problem so far.. I was actually shocked!
O.K her spine looks good ! And if she's getting around without much trouble then keep her as she is, that's really good !

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
For the clay i would get some small totes, boil some water and mix the clay in. Let it cool down to room temp slowly. Honestly i would probably do it a couple to three time (I'm paranoid about bacteria and fungus, so i overkill most stuff lol) just cycle all your clay through and dry it out. That should kill whatever is growing in it.

Last edited:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm not too familiar with the clay (I haven't used it in person). It does look like there is something growing there. I'd isolate it for now and see if it spreads or gets worse. Using heat might be able to clean it up, but I'm unsure if that will damage the clay. Brining some of it to boiling temp in water might be worth testing out.

~AmyNicole~

Original Poster
O.K her spine looks good ! And if she's getting around without much trouble then keep her as she is, that's really good !
Actually, I've noticed that it seems like she has problems with her back legs too unfortunately.. she can get around, but sometimes it seems like she has the mbd tick.. her one leg will stick out and tremor, (is the only way I can think to explain it) and she's so small.. poor baby is half the size of the male and I'm pretty sure they are the same age.. I'll try to get a video of her moving.. can I post those on here?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Actually, I've noticed that it seems like she has problems with her back legs too unfortunately.. she can get around, but sometimes it seems like she has the mbd tick.. her one leg will stick out and tremor, (is the only way I can think to explain it) and she's so small.. poor baby is half the size of the male and I'm pretty sure they are the same age.. I'll try to get a video of her moving.. can I post those on here?
Yes w/ that being said I would invest in either a 24" Zoo Med or a Arcadia Pro T5 w/ a 12% bulb or a Sunblaster Nano Tech -- that is going to be a better UVB than the T 8 your using --

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
It's hard to post video's here that are more than a few seconds long, the better option is to create a YouTube account and link the video here.

~AmyNicole~

Original Poster
Yes w/ that being said I would invest in either a 24" Zoo Med or a Arcadia Pro T5 w/ a 12% bulb or a Sunblaster Nano Tech -- that is going to be a better UVB than the T 8 your using --
Is this what you are talking about? And does anyone know if she will grow? It seems like the other one is triple her size already... having 2 large enclosures is going to be cramped for us, so we were thinking about building her a smaller, lower one since she probably wont be climbing around like she normally would have...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230127-144917_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230127-144917_Chrome.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 72
  • Screenshot_20230127-144917_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230127-144917_Chrome.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 78

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Is this what you are talking about? And does anyone know if she will grow? It seems like the other one is triple her size already... having 2 large enclosures is going to be cramped for us, so we were thinking about building her a smaller, lower one since she probably wont be climbing around like she normally would have...
https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster-nanotech-t5-ho-fixture-with-6400k-lamp.html 2 ft or 24"
you want to change the bulb out to a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T5 - Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO
I am sure she will grow but she may be stunted - what size tank is she in now?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom