Baby Beardie too cold. Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed that not only does my Beardie (~7 weeks old) tend to turn very dark a lot more recently (especially when he wakes up), but my temp gun is giving me readings between 95-105 no matter how many times I adjust the basking spot, so I'm assuming I need a new and more powerful bulb. Any suggestions on brand/wattage?

Bulb used atm: 100W Basking Bulb
Viv size: 40G
Temperature: Basking: ~95-105 (fluctuates around that with AC), Daytime Ambient: ~85 Nighttime: ~70-75
Beardie: ~7 weeks old, owned for ~2 weeks, finished shedding last week
Picture of setup (lights have been moved since!):
VqiKeje.jpg

cfjustin

Hatchling Member
A zoo-med intense 100w basking light will be perfect and get your temps around 110 degrees.

Also, what type of UVB are you using?

Polarthief

Original Poster
cfjustin":29jxnxwe said:
A zoo-med intense 100w basking light will be perfect and get your temps around 110 degrees.

Alright I'll look into that :)

A crappy coil, but I've already ordered a ReptiSun 10.0 24" and I'm off to Walmart to get a fixture for it. Will be fixed by Friday :D (I have ZERO experience with any non-snake reptile, minus these two weeks, so I sorta just took in what the pet store people told me. I've made it a personal note to NEVER listen to them again)

Edit: I actually think I'm currently using the bulb you described. Is this what you meant? (I only got the 1-pack, but still, same box art)

Would a 150 be too much for him? I can also use the rock in the center of the tank (as I did originally) instead of the giant tree thing.

cfjustin

Hatchling Member
Polarthief":1re63irl said:
cfjustin":1re63irl said:

A crappy coil, but I've already ordered a ReptiSun 10.0 24" and I'm off to Walmart to get a fixture for it. Will be fixed by Friday :D (I have ZERO experience with any non-snake reptile, minus these two weeks, so I sorta just took in what the pet store people told me. I've made it a personal note to NEVER listen to them again)

Edit: I actually think I'm currently using the bulb you described. Is this what you meant? (I only got the 1-pack, but still, same box art)

Would a 150 be too much for him? I can also use the rock in the center of the tank (as I did originally) instead of the giant tree thing.

Yes use the 100w, 150w would be much too strong and get probably around 120-25 degrees

Polarthief

Original Poster
cfjustin":wdk0jix3 said:
Polarthief":wdk0jix3 said:
cfjustin":wdk0jix3 said:

Yes use the 100w, 150w would be much too strong and get probably around 120-25 degrees

Ugh. Is there a 125w variant I could use perhaps? The 100 doesn't keep the tree hot enough and the rock is too low to be a working basking spot.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Could you get a stand for the fixture to mount it above the tank and then go with the 150w basking bulb?

Polarthief

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2aaejqao said:
Could you get a stand for the fixture to mount it above the tank and then go with the 150w basking bulb?

Might be worth a shot, but might still be too hot, which is why I was curious if a 125w would work, if they exist, heh.

cfjustin

Hatchling Member
Polarthief":34dtbx0t said:
CooperDragon":34dtbx0t said:

Might be worth a shot, but might still be too hot, which is why I was curious if a 125w would work, if they exist, heh.

I'm not sure if they come in 125w. If you don't want 100w, i'd go with a 125w household flood light bulb.

Polarthief

Original Poster
It's not that I don't want a 100w, it's that it doesn't seem to make the tree hot enough, and it's fairly close to the bulb as it is. The only way to get it higher would be to push the UVB out of the way and put it on the very top of the tree (which I can't really do until my ReptiSun 10.0 arrives)

Edit: Huh, that's weird, suddenly I'm getting readings of ~111. I put a towel, double-folded, over the top of the cold side (as it's the closer side to the AC), and I guess that may have heated up the hot/basking side. Perhaps I won't need another bulb afterall, but I'll be keeping an eye on the temp.

cfjustin

Hatchling Member
Polarthief":e4kn58xx said:
It's not that I don't want a 100w, it's that it doesn't seem to make the tree hot enough, and it's fairly close to the bulb as it is. The only way to get it higher would be to push the UVB out of the way and put it on the very top of the tree (which I can't really do until my ReptiSun 10.0 arrives)

Edit: Huh, that's weird, suddenly I'm getting readings of ~111. I put a towel, double-folded, over the top of the cold side (as it's the closer side to the AC), and I guess that may have heated up the hot/basking side. Perhaps I won't need another bulb afterall, but I'll be keeping an eye on the temp.

A normal household flood light would suffice.

Hmm, interesting. Allow 45 minutes until that tells you the basking temperature

Polarthief

Original Poster
cfjustin":3gq70luf said:
Polarthief":3gq70luf said:

A normal household flood light would suffice.

Hmm, interesting. Allow 45 minutes until that tells you the basking temperature

I'm actually using an IR Temp Gun rather than the probe as shown in the picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom