Baby Beardie Stubbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

SobeMC

I recently acquired a new little baby beardie. hes about 6inchs... well would be. The last 1/3 of his tail fell off when he was a younger hatchling (hence his name: Stubbs). Anyways, I have a small cage for him with simple decorations so he wont get stressed. Its been two days and hes active and sun basks but he doesn't really want to eat. I have veggies and small Jurassipet mealworms. He licks at his food but thats about it. I have to wait for him to lick it and then kinda push the food in to have him chew and swallow. I didn't do this too much cause I don't want to over feed him but I want him to get the nutrients he needs. Is it just stress and I should give him some more time before I get really worried?

And this isn't my first beardie. I have a two year old female (housed separately of course). But I received her when she was already an adult so this whole baby beardie thing is kinda new to me :/ help?

Geoff22

Hatchling Member
Worry not young one! *sorry felt like talking like yoda*

This is common relocation stress *moved to new home*

but the problem your having happens to most if not ALL beardie owners. It might take a while for your beardie to get used to his new surroundings give it upto 3 weeks for him to settle in. He will mellow out with time and soon he will be eating your paychecks whole

SobeMC

Original Poster
Geoff22":fc99a said:
Worry not young one! *sorry felt like talking like yoda*

This is common relocation stress *moved to new home*

but the problem your having happens to most if not ALL beardie owners. It might take a while for your beardie to get used to his new surroundings give it upto 3 weeks for him to settle in. He will mellow out with time and soon he will be eating your paychecks whole

:D Thank you! I'll be sure to just keep offering food for whenever he wants it.

ScooterBlenny

Hatchling Member
I would be very careful about offering a little one (or any one) mealworms. You might experiment with some other worms, like phoenix worms.

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
You might want to try live feeders such as crickets, roaches or phoenix worms. All my dragons were very picky when they were that small and still won't eat a thing unless it moves. Check to see if you have the right UV lighting and proper temps or you'll also have problems. Cheryl

SobeMC

Original Poster
I have the right bulbs and things, and today I left a small tray of some greens with the little worms on top and when I came home from school he ate all the worms and maybe a bite or two from the greens. So he enjoys the worms, and they're moist and soft cause they're sealed in a little can with water. I'm thinking of getting crickets next time but it's hard to find some the right size. The pet stores are almost always out. I'll get them when I can for variety.

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
A friend of mine adopted a bearding missing a hand and we called it Nubbs. Babies will try to drive you crazy, my first one didn't eat for 3 weeks and I was in a panic. My new baby is shy and hides unless I cover the front of her enclosure, I have pieces of paper taped all over it and we have to peek in to see what she's doing. She doesn't like to be watched when she eats and she only eats a few crickets or small roaches at a time. I have to alternate or it seems like she gets bored and doesn't want the same thing twice. I think I'm going to try Phoenix Worms again with her, I don't think she knew what they were the first time.

SobeMC

Original Poster
seadooz":08dbf said:
A friend of mine adopted a bearding missing a hand and we called it Nubbs. Babies will try to drive you crazy, my first one didn't eat for 3 weeks and I was in a panic. My new baby is shy and hides unless I cover the front of her enclosure, I have pieces of paper taped all over it and we have to peek in to see what she's doing. She doesn't like to be watched when she eats and she only eats a few crickets or small roaches at a time. I have to alternate or it seems like she gets bored and doesn't want the same thing twice. I think I'm going to try Phoenix Worms again with her, I don't think she knew what they were the first time.

lol ok well that makes me feel better. I wont worry too much. Stubbs doesn't liked being watched in the morning so I put a towel around the cage but in the afternoon he always wants out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom