Status
Not open for further replies.

jelxxx

Name: Custard
Length: 6.5 in.
Substrate: newspaper
Enclosure: Tetrafauna 10 gallon glass terrarium with metal screen lid
Furniture: oak branches from my backyard that I froze for over 48 hours
UVB: Repti Glo 10.0 compact coil bulb (both bulbs off from 8pm-8am)
Heat: soft white 65 watt floodlight (don't know exact temps. In Florida. He gapes sometimes, so he gets warm enough.)
Water: droplets from my fingers and onto his head throughout the day
Morning Meal: minced and misted kale. Tuesday I tried feeding him seeded and minced cactus pear.
Afternoon Meal: as many Reptical dusted 1/4 in. crickets as he can eat along with Reptical dusted baby superworms in a separate large Rubbermaid container.
Insect Gutload: celery, oatmeal, kale
Early Evening Meal: same as afternoon meal, as much as he wants
Bath: he is shedding, so every other day in warm water up to my first knuckle
Playtime: in 10 sq. ft. playpen with toilet paper roll, paper towel, and rubbermaid lid
Handling: I hold and stroke him throughout the day.

I got Custard two weeks ago. I went out of town last weekend, and my boyfriend took care of him. I noticed that he was not eating Tuesday, so I called the breeder that I got him from. This guy has been working with beardies for fifteen years, and does the husbandry for his lizards the same way that I do. I told him that Custard had not eaten insects even when given the opportunity three times throughout the day. He then told me that he could have eaten too much the previous day. He did. He ate five superworms and three crickets on Monday when I came back. He said that as long as Custard is still basking, (which he is) then he is fine. I also watched Custard pass a normal stool in the middle of the day, so I was not worried about impaction.

Then, when I checked on Custard late Tuesday evening I saw a large wet mass of bundled exoskeletons on his newspaper. :( I took a picture. I'm sorry if this grosses you guys out, but I thought it may be helpful for some people who want to give me direction. The object on the middle left is the scary stool, and the other objects are normal stools:
xdcwvr.jpg

I still can't believe that huge thing came out of him! :cry: Should I make an appointment with my local vet that knows how to care for beardeds?

Please help. I want to keep Custard as my friend for a long time.

Thanks! :blob5:
Jess

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Jess,

Your setup doesn't look too bad.
I do recommend that you try to get a thermometer since basking temperatures are so important.
The ranges need to be 95-110 in the basking area & a 78-82 or so in the cool area.
The Reptiglo coil light is not really the best UVB light. The coils & compacts are renowned for
causing eye issues as well as ill health effects. I would purchase the Reptisun 10 tube bulb instead,
it is much safer & has a better spectrum.
Since he is so small, I would feed crickets or roaches along with the calci worms or phoenix worms
(same thing) for easier digestion. The superworms may be a little hard for him to digest right now,
at his size. So if you do feed them, maybe limit them to just a couple of feedings per week.
It is possible that he ate too much & had a hard time passing everything.
Do you have any pictures of him?

Tracie

jelxxx

Original Poster
Drache613":1sgjunst said:
Hello Jess,

I do recommend that you try to get a thermometer since basking temperatures are so important.
The ranges need to be 95-110 in the basking area & a 78-82 or so in the cool area.
The Reptiglo coil light is not really the best UVB light. The coils & compacts are renowned for
causing eye issues as well as ill health effects. I would purchase the Reptisun 10 tube bulb instead,
Since he is so small, I would feed crickets or roaches along with the calci worms or phoenix worms
(same thing) for easier digestion. The superworms may be a little hard for him to digest right now,
at his size. So if you do feed them, maybe limit them to just a couple of feedings per week.

Tracie

Hi Tracie,

Thanks so much for your response.

My breeder said that I don't need a thermometer, but I don't think that it could hurt. Right now I have those bogus Petco thermometers that I used for a praying mantis a little bit ago, but I read that those can be 20 degrees off sometimes. Should I get a Tempgun or one to put in the enclosure?

I did not purchase the tube that you are talking about, because my breeder (along with other breeders that he knows) got a bad batch of them that ended up burning some of his babies' skin so badly that he had to rub aloe on their burns for weeks. He told me that the issues that you are talking about did occur a few years ago with the Repti Glo 10.0 compact coil bulbs, but that the company that makes them has remedied these problems by now. He also said that since I have my bulbs on top of a screen lid, it filters out the bulbs a good bit. My local petstore (not a chain) told me that they do not even sell this bulb because the are so afraid of problems though. I trust my breeder, because he uses the same bulbs and has no problems with them. Still, I suppose he could be wrong. What do you think?

By breeder did say not to feed Custard the superworms anymore, so it is decided. No more superworms for baby Custard. I'll just drop them off at that petstore and see if they could use them. I'll definitely try the roaches, calciworms, and phoenix worms. The superworms kind of give me the willies anyway. :lol:

Again, thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it :)

jelxxx

Original Poster
The day Mommy got me:

2lk7dar.jpg

I am the noble Custard.

v79v2w.jpg

I'm shedding!

20fu5fk.jpg

I'm a hypotransluscent leatherback beardie! Say that five times fast.

2ahguau.jpg

Aren't I handsome?

2wpkz5v.jpg

jelxxx":2bvxz3ed said:
Drache613":2bvxz3ed said:
Hello Jess,

Tracie

Hi Tracie,

My breeder said that I don't need a thermometer, but I don't think that it could hurt. Right now I have those bogus Petco thermometers that I used for a praying mantis a little bit ago, but I read that those can be 20 degrees off sometimes. Should I get a Tempgun or one to put in the enclosure?

I did not purchase the tube that you are talking about, because my breeder (along with other breeders that he knows) got a bad batch of them that ended up burning some of his babies' skin so badly that he had to rub aloe on their burns for weeks. He told me that the issues that you are talking about did occur a few years ago with the Repti Glo 10.0 compact coil bulbs, but that the company that makes them has remedied these problems by now. He also said that since I have my bulbs on top of a screen lid, it filters out the bulbs a good bit. My local petstore (not a chain) told me that they do not even sell this bulb because the are so afraid of problems though. I trust my breeder, because he uses the same bulbs and has no problems with them. Still, I suppose he could be wrong. What do you think?

By breeder did say not to feed Custard the superworms anymore, so it is decided. No more superworms for baby Custard. I'll just drop them off at that petstore and see if they could use them. I'll definitely try the roaches, calciworms, and phoenix worms. The superworms kind of give me the willies anyway. :lol:

I just ordered phoenix and dubia for Mikka, she loves dubia.

My little Mikka just ate a big super worm on accident the other day, so I imagine this is what I have to look forward too lol, Idc, as long as it comes out!!!

Custard is a cutie', how old is he?

Where did you get him?

Nice looking little fella :blob8: :blob5:

jelxxx

Original Poster
VegasBeardieFans":15dl8tfk said:
jelxxx":15dl8tfk said:
Drache613":15dl8tfk said:
Hello Jess,

Tracie

Hi Tracie,

My little Mikka just ate a big super worm on accident the other day, so I imagine this is what I have to look forward too lol, Idc, as long as it comes out!!!

Where did you get him?

I'll have to order some myself. I need to find a good quality online store. Where do you order yours from?

Haha yeah it's not pretty. I'm sure Mikka will pass it if it was just one big one. Little Custard ate much more than that, and he is fine today. He ate five dusted crickets, but did not eat his veggies I don't think. He may not like the variety I have been implementing. I gave him cactus pear, spaghetti squash, and kale today.

Thanks! I love him. He was born on 9/7/11, so he is a little over two months old.

I got him from a nice breeder here in Tallahassee. His name is Rob, and he specializes in red morphs. His website is allaboutbeardeds.com.

I'm glad you think so! Rob said that he only usually hatches about 13 of these little guys every year, so naturally I got Custard because he's so special. He's also a sweetie. He's cuddling/sleeping on my lap as I type. I hope he stays this sweet. :)

jelxxx":wawh6f48 said:
VegasBeardieFans":wawh6f48 said:
jelxxx":wawh6f48 said:
Drache613":wawh6f48 said:
Hello Jess,

Tracie

Hi Tracie,

Where did you get him?

I'll have to order some myself. I need to find a good quality online store. Where do you order yours from?

Haha yeah it's not pretty. I'm sure Mikka will pass it if it was just one big one. Little Custard ate much more than that, and he is fine today. He ate five dusted crickets, but did not eat his veggies I don't think. He may not like the variety I have been implementing. I gave him cactus pear, spaghetti squash, and kale today.

Thanks! I love him. He was born on 9/7/11, so he is a little over two months old.

I got him from a nice breeder here in Tallahassee. His name is Rob, and he specializes in red morphs. His website is allaboutbeardeds.com.

I'm glad you think so! Rob said that he only usually hatches about 13 of these little guys every year, so naturally I got Custard because he's so special. He's also a sweetie. He's cuddling/sleeping on my lap as I type. I hope he stays this sweet. :)

Our breeder Mark at Moonstone Dragons only does a few as-well, Mikka's mom is from moonstone and her dad is from Fire and Ice.

Here Ill show ya'

There she is our little HAM, she is a beautiful microscale :)

jelxxx

Original Poster
VegasBeardieFans":205353s7 said:
jelxxx":205353s7 said:
VegasBeardieFans":205353s7 said:
jelxxx":205353s7 said:
Drache613":205353s7 said:
Hello Jess,

Tracie

Hi Tracie,

Where did you get him?

Our breeder Mark at Moonstone Dragons only does a few as-well, Mikka's mom is from moonstone and her dad is from Fire and Ice.

Here Ill show ya'

There she is our little HAM, she is a beautiful microscale :)

She is lovely! You can really see her personality in the last photo. Thanks for sharing with me :)

Thanks!

Yeah she's Awesome tons of personality, and sometimes tude' lol.

I oredr my dubia from a guy on here, simpleman 1k small dubia shipped $40.

And I order my worms from http://www.mulberryfarms.com

They also have mini-supers and silkworms.

Mikka is citrus x supercitrus microscale, she is so so soft.

Custard is one hansome lil dude too !

Very photogenic.

jelxxx

Original Poster
VegasBeardieFans":3oc7lx2l said:
Thanks!

Very photogenic.

Haha yeah Custard has an attitude too sometimes. Today he tried to hide behind his stick and looked at me like "What do you want?" when I asked him why he was acting so weird.

I just realized that I can't get dubias b/c I live in Florida. Bummer. I did just get a fancy cricket keeper though, and I haven't had as many escapes which was my main annoyance with crickets. Thanks for the link! I'll check out their silkworms for sure.

Mikka's a really nice morph. I hear that those are hard to come by. I'm definitely partial to the micros, and citruses are so beautiful. I love how bright they can get.

My breeder just told me that Custard's brother's eyes turned blue, so I'm waiting to see if his do or not. It'd be neat if they did, but I still like the way they are now :)

jelxxx":27hkgc9f said:
VegasBeardieFans":27hkgc9f said:
Thanks!

Very photogenic.

Haha yeah Custard has an attitude too sometimes. Today he tried to hide behind his stick and looked at me like "What do you want?" when I asked him why he was acting so weird.

I just realized that I can't get dubias b/c I live in Florida. Bummer. I did just get a fancy cricket keeper though, and I haven't had as many escapes which was my main annoyance with crickets. Thanks for the link! I'll check out their silkworms for sure.

Mikka's a really nice morph. I hear that those are hard to come by. I'm definitely partial to the micros, and citruses are so beautiful. I love how bright they can get.

My breeder just told me that Custard's brother's eyes turned blue, so I'm waiting to see if his do or not. It'd be neat if they did, but I still like the way they are now :)

Thank You, All I knew is I wanted to go with a reputable breeder ( just turned out, he is one of the best in the biz ), Mikka by far was the prettiest dragon at the entire reptile convention, and I checked out every single dragon, then after I was done browsing I ran back over to the booth, and purchased her.

too cute to say no too.

Custard is a super cute too.

blue eyes , wow that would be cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Kubet77 là nhà cái đánh giá uy tín hoạt động từ năm 2005, có giấy phép bảo hộ từ PAGCOR, thu hút nhiều người chơi tại Việt Nam và Châu Á nhờ dịch vụ đáng tin cậy. Website: Kubet77 🎖️ Nhà Cái Cá Cược Trực Tuyến Đáng Chơi Nhất 2024 Địa chỉ: Số 27 Đường số 7, Cityland Park Hills,
Go88 là một trong những nhà cái cá cược trực tuyến hàng đầu với danh tiếng vững chắc trong cộng đồng người chơi.
Tag: #appgo88link #go88link #Game_Go88 #Game_bài_Go88 #Cổng_game_Go88 #Tài_xỉu_Go88 #Nạp_tiền_Go88 #Rút_tiền_Go88 #play_Go88
https://smartcity.bandung.go.id/member/bsc3090527795d
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Billspikes
Top Bottom