Baby Beardie not interested in food!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdraak

Hi
This is my first time on here, I having been viewing the forum for a couple of weeks for advice.
I think I really just need to know my little one is ok as he/she is worrying me slightly.
I got him/her on the 2nd Oct and he/she is only 4 - 5" from head to end of tail and roughly 5 - 6 weeks old.
I thought this may be to young but he seemed to be improving each day I had him till now.
He/she has shed once but only seems to eat 3 maybe 4 crickets in a day.
I always put fresh greens and water in every day with a few meal worms (are these bad for them) plus he gets offered crickets morning and afternoon. (We also gave him a wax worm the other day which he ate but it seems after this the problems occurred)
When I came home last night I lifted his rock and the crickets I gave him were all under there and he had not eaten any. I took him out (asleep) and put him in towel to sleep while I caught them, but he woke when I put him back and was pretty angry (understandably) This morning he was just hiding in his cave staring at me, I gave him a cricket which he looked at then just looked back at me.
For the past few days he has been hiding behind his rock and just peeking round the corner at me.
He is very feisty and quite hard to catch and always try to escape, he will always open his mouth at me like he wants to bite,but never has! He does lick my finger occasionally!
He basks a lot and seems to be alert and energetic, always has stress marks apart from when asleep and poos regularly.
Anyway I was just wondering If I should be concerned or if he is ok??
And when should I take him for a vet check and do you know the least stressful thing to transport.
Please help very anxious and don't want to be hurting him in any way :(
( Will attach images once I get them on my comp)

ashesc212

Sub-Adult Member
kdraak":31775 said:
I thought this may be to young but he seemed to be improving each day I had him till now.
He/she has shed once but only seems to eat 3 maybe 4 crickets in a day.
I always put fresh greens and water in every day with a few meal worms (are these bad for them) plus he gets offered crickets morning and afternoon.

Mealworms are not a good choice for young beardies because they have a lot of shell and not so much inner goodness. Young beardies usually don't eat their greens but you should still keep providing them just in case. Have you tried providing phoenix worms or some other sort of food? Maybe your beardie just doesn't like crickets.

Can you tell us about you terrarium setup? Basking light? UVB light? Temperatures? Substrate? Do you bathe your beardie regularly?
Do you use calcium and multivitamin supplements?

kdraak

Original Poster
I have a 3ft viv using lining paper on the floor, Arcadia D3+ uv strip light and a reptiluxe 100w basking bulb. He only has a rock under his basking area, a log and a wooden cave. his basking area is bout 105f and mid area bout 80f. I tried him on some brown crickets (he was eating black before) and gave him a wax worm but think he is maybe too young for those. I would like to get some phoenix worms and maybe try roaches or locusts but not sure where to get them. I live in the uk and the sites I looked on were all in dollars.
He has water every day and fresh veg, I spray him with water and give him bathes (dont think he likes them)
He has shed his skin the past two days, maybe this is why he is not eating??
He is still pooing every day.
thanks

kdraak

Original Poster
He ate today!!! only 2 ut he seemed back to normal, checked all his temps and they are all good.
He is in a 3ft tank someone suggested making it smaller for him to reduce his stress marks do you think this will make a difference.

ashesc212

Sub-Adult Member
kdraak":a0d60 said:
Arcadia D3+ uv strip light
I've never heard of that brand, maybe someone else can help on that. The consensus seems to be that Reptisun 10.0 is the best UVB light. How close can your beardie get to the UVB light. They need to be able to get within 8" of it.

Sometimes they are grumpy when they shed and may not eat at times. That certainly could be one of the causes.

You could try to reduce the size of the cage by putting something in it that blocks access to the other half. However, I don't know if this will help with the stress marks. Honestly, my beardie has ALWAYS had SOME stress marks and is perfectly happy and healthy anyway. They are sensitive creatures lol.

I can't help you on the worm access. I live in NYC. I'm wondering if Phoenixworms.com or other such sites would ship to you. Also, are there ever any reptile expos in the UK?

patrickb

Juvie Member
Are the walls clear glass or plastic? Reptiles can't see or recognize those and will go barreling straight at em. If they are, try covering them with some paper or something else so that they can see its a wall there. Will prevent injury to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom