Baby Beardie not eating....

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCHendrix

Original Poster
when i first put crickets in he ran around a lot but never ate them, I gave it a half hour then took them out. Changing the lighting is next on my list but I 20 dollars till I get paid so his lighting will have to wait. I'm aware the wax worms are mainly fat but when it comes to him not eating and dieing and just having a fatty diet for the time being I thing the second one is better. I think I will try that but if I do a smaller tub wouldn't there be a good chance they'll get out?

Suzie22

Hatchling Member
I am going to try the tub thing with mine too. He won't eat at all.

How does he go about eating them though? Does the crickets hop out? Or is the dragon supposed to go in there and eat them?

Leo123

Jimmy, after you dust your crix with calcium put them in the fridge for 20mins they will slow down alot and hopefully not get out of the smaller tub, you could also try putting a couple bits of veg in the tub to keep them at bay.

gandhi, im glad it works for you helped me n my Beardie out alot.

Suzie22, same as i said to Jimmy above try the fridge thing, it helped me alot with Leo's eating. I read somewhere it takes 30mins for Beardies to heat up enough to become alert and ready to hunt food, i always put leo on his basking spot for half an hour before feeding and he's always ready to go after the 30mins.

Good luck folks

Tam

JCHendrix

Original Poster
Im going to try the tub thing, but it seems to me he is just not interested. Even when it comes to wax and meal worms it's a pain to get him to even eat 1 or two. He still hasn't touched the fruit and veggie supplement gel though he did lick it once. He's spending most his time very dark in color (trying to get warm) but the cage yesterday was 90 on the cool side and the basking side is the side with the heat emitter. I just don't get why he is so difficult...

Leo123

Jimmy, i would try using the Liquid Calcium Supplement to make sure he's getting enough cause the head shaking is worrying. Can you send me a pic of his tank and also a recent pic of him.

Kind Regards

Tam

gandhi

Hatchling Member
Do try the tub thing - Gandhi wouldn't eat for a week but I tried the tub and it worked - none of them have hopped out - I put them in the freezer for 3 minute to slow them down. I really think the problem with gandhi was that he didn't like to be watched - I Just left the tub in there and left him alone - he took a couple of hours but by 10am all 6 of them were gone!!

JCHendrix

Original Poster
I tried the tub trick and he ate 4 crickets! He got scared when he couldn't get out of the tub so hopefully that wont stop him from eating out of the tub again.

Suzie22

Hatchling Member
I tried it and he didnt eat any, they eventually started crawling on his head. :( I am still going to keep trying it. I love the idea of how easy it is to clean up if he won't eat them.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
JCHendrix":c8b02 said:
He's spending most his time very dark in color (trying to get warm) but the cage yesterday was 90 on the cool side and the basking side is the side with the heat emitter. I just don't get why he is so difficult...
So, for heat in his tank you're using a heat emitter? They do much better with bright white bulbs and you can even use a standard household light bulb. The bulbs also help reduce the glare of the UVB's and since you're using a Repti-Glo, a white bulb will help reduce the chances of eye problems. The basking bulb and UVB should be right alongside each other so he can get the benefit of both bulbs at the same time. A temp of 90 for the cool side is really too high, it should only be 78 to 82. What is the temp of the basking side? What size tank is he in and what is the wattage of the CHE? Also, what type of thermometer are you using to check the temps?

JCHendrix

Original Poster
My temps are fine and it was not relocation stress, that only last a week at the most, and I've had him much longer then than that. I strongly suggest the tub trick for any beardie that is afraid of crickets. I did try it without putting the crickets in the fridge and it did not work, but both times i put them in the fridge first he ate them with in a half hour.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Actually, it is possible for relocation stress to last up to 2 wks sometimes. So, he is eating now that you're putting the crickets in the frig to slow them down?

Did you read what I wrote here?
So, for heat in his tank you're using a heat emitter? They do much better with bright white bulbs and you can even use a standard household light bulb. The bulbs also help reduce the glare of the UVB's and since you're using a Repti-Glo, a white bulb will help reduce the chances of eye problems. The basking bulb and UVB should be right alongside each other so he can get the benefit of both bulbs at the same time. A temp of 90 for the cool side is really too high, it should only be 78 to 82. What is the temp of the basking side? What size tank is he in and what is the wattage of the CHE? Also, what type of thermometer are you using to check the temps?
We're all really trying to help your baby get on the right track so if you could answer the questions, it would help us to rule things out.

JCHendrix

Original Poster
I do not re-answer questions if a question was not answered it is because i have already answered it in this thread or simply do not know. The person with the tub and fridge trick already helped and my beardie is now eating on a regular basis when I do that. You can consider me helped. If you wish to continue the thread for helping others, by all means...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom