Baby Beardie not eating today

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilYoul

Hello I stopped by because I recently got a new baby bearded dragon and he wont eat today and he's acting really weird.. I've had him for 3 days now i got him sunday night and he was a realyl active little guy i mean very active, very alert, very curious and showed no signs of stress ate like 30 repti worms when i brought him home and yesterday he ate like 28 crickets and maybe like 10 repti worms total.. He only pooped once since i've had him and that was yesterday.. I just wonder if maybe he's having troubles digesting his food maybe? I noticed his poo was really black and hard.. what are the signs of impaction? i noticed he tried to hide quiet a few times now hes on his basking spot with his eyes bearly shut and laying his head down.. can someone please help!?

EvilYoul

Original Poster
well I just gave my beardie a really warm bath and he **** a turd about an inch long lol am i feeding my beardie a bit too much? lol

Kaiser

Juvie Member
Bearded dragons tend to go through relocation stress, where they may not eat or act alright for a few days (even up to weeks) after a recent change, especially if it's a change in habitat. I know you mentioned he didn't seem to have any stress initially and was eating just fine, but sometimes it takes them a while to realize that they've gone through a change in location. If that's not the case, I'm not sure what could be the problem, as there are a number of factors that could contribute to a lack of appetite or compaction:

First of all, what are your temperatures inside your enclosure, and how are you measuring them? Particularly your basking spot.

Secondly, what kind of UVB lighting are you using? Brand and type, please, and how old is it?

Additionally, are you making sure that the crickets and Reptiworms are appropriately sized for your bearded dragon; nothing bigger than the space between his eyes?

And no, I do not think you're feeding your bearded dragon too much. As a baby, it should be eating as many live feeders as it chooses to eat within 10-15 minutes, two to three times a day. That can certainly add up, but it varies between bearded dragons, with some eating only 20 a day and getting along fine, to some eating well over 100 live feeders in a single day.

Signs of impaction include, obviously, extended periods of time without normal defecation, loss of appetite and activity levels, hard lumps within the stomach, etc. Those are just a few of the more common signs.

EvilYoul

Original Poster
His basking spot temperature is about 102 to 105 degrees and the cool side is about 80 to 85 degrees and I am measuring with a digital temperature probe i left the probe sit for a couple of hours or so then checked what it was the highest i ever seen it go was 105..

I'm using a 10.0 reptisun uvb with a zoo med hood with a built in reflector and its not very old i got that in the middle of december.

yeah crickets are smaller then the space between his eyes.

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
When I got my baby, he ate great the first morning, and then nothing for a couple days, he ate a few crickets was it. I orderd repti-worms and within about 3 days he started eating again.

Kaiser

Juvie Member
EvilYoul":1lxi8roa said:
His basking spot temperature is about 102 to 105 degrees and the cool side is about 80 to 85 degrees and I am measuring with a digital temperature probe i left the probe sit for a couple of hours or so then checked what it was the highest i ever seen it go was 105..

I'm using a 10.0 reptisun uvb with a zoo med hood with a built in reflector and its not very old i got that in the middle of december.

yeah crickets are smaller then the space between his eyes.

Everything sounds pretty spot on. Basking temperatures have been suggested to range anywhere from 100 to 110 (some up to 115) degrees Fahrenheit for young bearded dragons, so you could go a bit higher, though I don't really see that as much of a problem, if at all. I can't really think of anything else that could be causing those conditions. There is a possibility that your bearded dragon may be ill and/or has parasites which could decrease appetite. You could always get your bearded dragon a check up at a qualified veterinarian, and get a fecal test done if the problem persists and you can't find another explanation. It may also be that he might be a picky eater, and will refuse to eat certain feeders once he gets tired of them, though I feel like this is a bit unlikely, considering he's just a baby and you've just recently gotten him.

Although after just a few days, I do think it's mainly a relocation stress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom