Baby Beardie not eating, not interested?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmaugTheBD

Hatchling Member
My baby Beardie Smaug, lately when I go to feed him he will just run to the glass and scratch on it..he won't eat his crickets..its like he doesn't even see them. He hasn't ate in 1 whole day, what should I do? It's really frustrating when a cricket walks right up to him and he just sits there.. I even tried hand feeding him crickets! help!

I have shelf liner substrate, no loose substrates so he is not impacted, and my heating is correct,

SmaugTheBD

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
dylanravenj":2dw6878r said:
What kind of UVB bulb are you using?
How big are the crickets?

I am using a ReptiSun 10.0, and my crickets are "small" size according to my local reptile shop. they arent bigger then the length between his eyes.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Are you feeding him in a separate container or in his tank?
Does he usually eat a lot? Has he been poing everyday?

If I remember right, you haven't had your baby for too long, about a week right?

-Brandon

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
This *may* not be the reason but I will put it out there anyway...sometimes, they just plain grow tired of their food and even if hungry will refuse to eat.

Have you tried a different feeder in the past few days? If you have, then he may be holding out for more of the new one. If you have not...then I would suggest trying.

Will he eat greens? I think I remember you saying he does not eat them yet?

And, are you using a ReptiSUN 10.0 TUBE bulb? (really the best one on market right now...but I remember you posting your set up b4 and think you do use it.)

Do you bring your guy out for some play time when he *glass dances* at the glass? I know he is little, but even 10 minutes is OK at his age and might just boost his appetite. Our guy will often hold off on eating in the morning if he is in the mood to come out for a bit first :roll:

If your set up is all good and he is not shedding (which can cause a drop in appetite as well) I would certainly try another feeder asap. Worms (not mealworms), dubias, red racers etc. would all be good choices.

~Sherri

p.s. Forgot to mention, their appetite can decline if they are not hydrated well also. If you can get water into him via dropper or syringe it could help :)

SmaugTheBD

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":vifunrej said:
Are you feeding him in a separate container or in his tank?
Does he usually eat a lot? Has he been poing everyday?

If I remember right, you haven't had your baby for too long, about a week right?

-Brandon

Well today I decided to feed him in an old 10 gallon tank, because he wasnt eating in his own enclosure. the first couple days he ate much more then he does now..and he has been pooping normally..I have had him for a little over a week now.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sherri had some good points.

you might want to try a new feeder just to spice things up.
Also, if your dragon is dehydrated, it might not want to eat. Do you give regular baths?

-Brandon

SmaugTheBD

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Sherri":320s80fe said:
This *may* not be the reason but I will put it out there anyway...sometimes, they just plain grow tired of their food and even if hungry will refuse to eat.

Have you tried a different feeder in the past few days? If you have, then he may be holding out for more of the new one. If you have not...then I would suggest trying.

Will he eat greens? I think I remember you saying he does not eat them yet?

And, are you using a ReptiSUN 10.0 TUBE bulb? (really the best one on market right now...but I remember you posting your set up b4 and think you do use it.)

Do you bring your guy out for some play time when he *glass dances* at the glass? I know he is little, but even 10 minutes is OK at his age and might just boost his appetite. Our guy will often hold off on eating in the morning if he is in the mood to come out for a bit first :roll:

If your set up is all good and he is not shedding (which can cause a drop in appetite as well) I would certainly try another feeder asap. Worms (not mealworms), dubias, red racers etc. would all be good choices.

~Sherri

p.s. Forgot to mention, their appetite can decline if they are not hydrated well also. If you can get water into him via dropper or syringe it could help :)

No, but I just ordered reptiworms online, they should be here in a few days.

all I fed him since i got him was crickets..

haven't seen him eat his greens yet..

Yes im using ReptiSun 10.0 Tube light

Sometimes i take him out when he does that, but not a lot..because of the relocation stress..

I do give him some baths, but how much is necessary? I've heard a lot of different answers for this..and I do put drops of water on his nose, but he doesn't really drink it..

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well, the necessity of frequency depends on the dragon, and its condition.

How often are you doing it right now?

-Brandon

SmaugTheBD

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":3gzejd1b said:
Well, the necessity of frequency depends on the dragon, and its condition.

How often are you doing it right now?

-Brandon

I gave him baths about 2-3 times this week, but just now I got him to drink water out of a syringe! :D

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Be very careful when giving them a liquid with a syringe. You don't want them to aspirate the liquid.

-Brandon

Carnivorouszoo

Sub-Adult Member
If you are lucky you can get them to poo in their baths downside? Babies would need to be bathed daily. Ask how I know :mrgreen:

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Please update us when you can. Rather than putting the water in the mouth with the needless syringe, you could try putting drops on his nose, he will probably lick them right off and it's very cute to watch. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwe6634ee1
Top Bottom