Baby beardie not eating. DUPLICATE POST. SORRY

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been feeding ragnar small crickets since I've brought him home last Saturday. His appetite has been up and down all week. He did not eat anything all day yesterday, and refused them again this morning. 2 days ago he had eight crickets with no problems. He alert, basking, and exploring his cage per usual. His lighting is fine, I got that all situated when I got my temp gun this past Friday I just don't understand WHY he won't eat.

I measured him Sunday evening and he was 6 inches ling, so he has grown half an inch this pastor week. I have no idea how old he is or what he weighs (forgot to grab a scale)

I've been getting my crickets from Petsmart and keep them in a little cricket keeper. I feed them greens and apples (whatevers left over from ragnar's salads really). I also give them those orange cubes (the pet store eecommended). I never leave any in the enclosure after 15 minutes.

I got 50 crickets friday bight, but by Sunday half of them were dead?!? I picked all of them out and cleaned the keeper out for the ones I have left. Are they bad crickets? Did I make ragnar sick by feeding them to him? I do not have much experience at all with crickets. They are a nightmare for me anyways. I freak out anytime I feed them to the beardie.

I'm at a loss. I just wish he would eat something :( Any ideas or tips to get him to eat again? He tolerates handling ok, but won't do hand feeding. He still to skittish for that.

Jess

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
Are you able to place an online order? If so, consider trying a different feeder insect. BSFL are good (Phoenix worms/calciworms - your petstore probably has them as well), dubia roaches (or discoid if you live where dubias are illegal) are an excellent feeder. You may also be able to find silkworms, and hornworms are a nice treat (heads up - they grow *really* fast). None of these are as much hassle as crickets can be. :0)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You can order dubia roaches from Amazon.com -- type in dubia roaches in amazon search-- most suppliers have free shipping - I would recommend them -- they are easy to keep in a 10 gallon aquarium feed them carrots apples and squash----- they love squash-- all of what your beardie will eat--- dubias are way better for your little guy anyway..............by the way dubias dont stink and they dont chirp and they last a long time
Karrie

Jessluvsdragons

Original Poster
Hey,

Sorry this posted twice. His appetite is slowly creeping up. I got him to eat 9 crickets this mornings feed. We were averaging 3-4 per feed earlier before his little "hunger strike"

I think he doesn't like the ones that jump. They scare him. But I have figured out that if I disable them, he'll go to town. He likes when they wiggle, just not when they jump.

Would have been ten but I accidentally killed one and he would have none if it. He licked it and moved on. Also I drop 2-3 at a time, wait, and then drop two more.

He only gives me about a five minute window when he goes frantic over them. He will sometimes eat during the whole fifteen minute period, but not regularly.

I have found a supplier near me that ships overnight. I'm going to try some bsfl for him. I think he might like them. Whenever I let him roam the couch, he always goes nuts over the fringes on the pillow. So maybe worms will be his thing. I may order a few dubia too, just to see if he's interested.

He will lick his salad but not eat it unfortunately. I got some squash today that I'm going to cut into wormie shape to see if he'll try that. He's more interested in running through his salad and making a mess vs. eating it right now.

Guess it's just boiling down to me getting to know him and what his preferences are.

Jess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom