Baby Beardie not chasing crickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kryton

We have a baby beardie thats about 2 months old and she(well I think its a she) will not chase crickets.She usually stays up in the basking area about 90% of the time. What I have been doing is emptying some from my cricket keeper into a 5gal tank,catching one,dusting ,then feeding by hand. This is kinda hard since I have big fingers and they are small. I have also tried to put her into the small tank with a bunch of crickets but man she DOES NOT like it in there.Just dont know what to do to get her to chase them down and eat some on her own.Could use some suggestions.
We also keep fresh Mustard and Collard greens that are misted frequently in her viv.She has only been spotted once eating what I put in her bowl but has munched a couple of times on them out of my hand.
I am also getting Phoenix/Repti worms this weekend at Repticon so I can try her on those.
All my temps are within parameters and taken with a probe thermometer.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The phoenix worms are definitely worth a try. She may prefer those. Is she acting lethargic in any other way? Does she have energy and run around when she's out of the tank?

Kryton

Original Poster
No she doesnt act lethargic.She is to small to let her run around the house.Way to many things to get under at the moment. When she gets a little bigger I will let her though.She runs around the tub when I give her a bath and she will run around her viv at times.We have only had her about two weeks though and still a little jumpy.Her viv is a 150gal tank that I have devided to a little less than half so I have to come at her from the top and I take it very slow. She just sits up there and watches what goes on in the house. My wife laughs at her cause when I come around she perks her head up and watches every move I make.
When I am done posting I think I will try putting some crickets in a butter container,dusting them and sticking them in the fridge for 10min or so. That way I can put her at the bottom and see if she eats them while they are slow. I just hate chasing them down to get them out of the tank.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's good that she has energy. It's possible she just isn't interested in crickets as a feeder.

Kryton

Original Poster
Its possible,still learning what she wants/likes. I am hoping she goes for the phoenix worms,would rather her have a staple of worms and veggies.According to the feeding chart,worms would make a better staple than crickets and I know the dubia roach is probably the best live staple but the wife WILL NOT go for any kind of roaches in her house LOL. Also as she grows the variety of worms gets larger so thats good.

When mine was that young, I would put her in a separate container when I added the crickets she would spend the entire time trying to climb the edges and showed no interest, so I put her back in her cage. I did this for days and was very worried about her starving. However, one day I left for a minute or two and came back and the container would be completely empty, save for one very content baby.

It may just be that you're is a shy eater, especially considering her age. Do you watch her eat?

Kryton

Original Poster
Yes but I have also wrapped a blanket around it thinking she would get a little more comfortable.Didnt leave it on very long though.Maybe what she needs is tough love.I did this with fish that I used to raise to get them to eat certain things and get away from feeding goldfish.

Annuhh5

My baby wouldn't eat much either, especially while i was watching. Now she eats about 20+ crickets a day. Maybe its just a phase? I also bought her some silk worms one day and they seemed to increase her appetite.

Mine still won't chase her roaches. I have to put her in her bowl and coral the roaches in front of her face with my hand. If she has to take more than two steps towards a bug, its not worth it. She's just a lazy eater.
When I was feeding crickets, one thing I would do was break their hopper legs and just place them in the bowl. This made them much less mobile, and easier for her to pick off. It may be gross and time consuming, but it did the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixxie
Top Bottom