Baby Beardie is Gonna Pass :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

CodyH3012

Hi everyone. Bit of a sad post, and one that has upset me even more because it's all my fault.

Just got home from work and the new log i had put in there for my beardie to climb on has fallen and landed on my beardies back...i'm almost certain it's an injury that I can't fix. I instantly took the log off of course and tried moving him but he was completely limp i actually thought he was dead at first since his eyes were closed. I'm completely devastated. I moved him back up onto his basking spot and he has his eyes open and looks happy, but it seems like he's only moving his front legs, not 100% sure though. Every time I pick him up he just shuts his eyes. He did this thing when I picked him up where he would open his mouth almost like a yawn and then it sounded like he was coughing, or a cracking noise was happening :( he did this a few times, but has stopped now. He looks happy up on his hammock right now, but I'm super super worried he's not gonna make it. He's about 3 months old and I feel like such a terrible person since this was all my fault. I should've never ever ever put a log like that in is cage. Do you think there is hope for him or am i gonna lose him? I'm so upset right now who would've thought something you've only had for 2 months could make you feel so upset...not sure what to do at this point.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh man, poor little guy. :( Can you post a pic of him now ? Keep him down low from any of his basking areas for now. He might make it....I don't know if you have an experienced reptile vet, but they may not be able to do much for him anyway....he will either recover or he won't. I know it's easy to blame yourself, but who thinks that a freak accident is just waiting to happen ? But just give him a chance + see how he does. He is going to be very weak but could possibly come through, although it's a slight chance it's still a chance.

CodyH3012

Original Poster
AHBD":2p7qase3 said:
Oh man, poor little guy. :( Can you post a pic of him now ? Keep him down low from any of his basking areas for now. He might make it....I don't know if you have an experienced reptile vet, but they may not be able to do much for him anyway....he will either recover or he won't. I know it's easy to blame yourself, but who thinks that a freak accident is just waiting to happen ? But just give him a chance + see how he does. He is going to be very weak but could possibly come through, although it's a slight chance it's still a chance.
I will post pictures in a minute, they're uploading. Is there any way to tell if his back is broken or not? I'm so heartbroken i feel like a terrible person because of this. He's such a great beardie always loves snuggling up to me at night and runs at his glass if i dont take him out to sleep with me at night. i have confirmed that he can move all of his legs so not sure if that means anything. i took him out and he climbed up my hand, but is definately acting different from the bandit im used to so somethings up.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If he can walk up your hand, that's a great sign ! He should be able to recover. Is he holding his mouth open or breathing heavily or shallowly ? Of course you can expect him to be shake up + not himself yet.

CodyH3012

Original Poster
AHBD":2sady3y9 said:
If he can walk up your hand, that's a great sign ! He should be able to recover. Is he holding his mouth open or breathing heavily or shallowly ? Of course you can expect him to be shake up + not himself yet.
He doesn't have his mouth open nothing like that no noises when he's breathing or anything. The only thing that was strange was when he opened his mouth twice and it sounded like a coughing or cracking sound which really freaked me out but he hasn't done that anymore. Just out of curiousity I recorded him on his hammock and he was able to move from one end to the other but not quickly. I sure hope he makes it I'm worried sick. He just got done soaking in some warm water. I'll post some pics now.

CodyH3012

Original Poster
AHBD":30rb6tv1 said:
Here are the pics. As you can see one of his legs is a little bit bigger then the other. Not sure what that's all about.
http://m.imgur.com/a/5JXEK

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He looks fine....no need for a bath, just keep him warm in his tank . And again, keep his basking spots low for now. Was the log a wooden or a fabricated one ? Was it heavy ?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

OH my, I am sorry to hear of the accident. :cry:
As suggested, definitely keep him down low in his tank so he doesn't have to move & climb in case he is sore. Just lower the lights if needed to keep the temperatures optimal.
It's hard to tell from the pictures on the size of his leg. If he is moving though, that is a great sign. Hopefully he will improve each day. Try to keep his tank a little warmer overnight, around 80, to help him out right now.

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

CodyH3012

Original Poster
AHBD":3lsklmt0 said:
He looks fine....no need for a bath, just keep him warm in his tank . And again, keep his basking spots low for now. Was the log a wooden or a fabricated one ? Was it heavy ?
I'll stay away from baths then. Something I read online said to soak him in a warm bath everyday if his back is broken.
Heres the log, it's a piece of driftwood from amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Flukers-52013-Driftwood/dp/B0002DHOPY/ref=sr_1_3?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1466391094&sr=1-3&keywords=climbing+wood+for+reptiles

im super scared im gonna lose him. his beard is still a little black, i'm assuming thats from him being stressed out.

CodyH3012

Original Poster
Drache613":103nevp9 said:
Hello,

OH my, I am sorry to hear of the accident. :cry:
As suggested, definitely keep him down low in his tank so he doesn't have to move & climb in case he is sore. Just lower the lights if needed to keep the temperatures optimal.
It's hard to tell from the pictures on the size of his leg. If he is moving though, that is a great sign. Hopefully he will improve each day. Try to keep his tank a little warmer overnight, around 80, to help him out right now.

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie
thank you so much. the log i was using was slanted just right to where it could slide i guess...i moved his basking spot from his hammock which is high up, to a different piece of climbing wood that's down low. i used a tempgun to check the temp and it says 105 fehrenheit. will that be ok for him?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
105 will be fine....but you don't mean overnight I'm sure. As tracie said, 80 will be fine overnight. If you don't have a CHE then room temp. [ in the 70's ] will be fine. Let him get some rest tonight. I think he's going to be O.K

CodyH3012

Original Poster
AHBD":21tyn5f7 said:
105 will be fine....but you don't mean overnight I'm sure. As tracie said, 80 will be fine overnight. If you don't have a CHE then room temp. [ in the 70's ] will be fine. Let him get some rest tonight. I think he's going to be O.K
thank you so much for the replies. should i refraim from handling him? hes just sleeping under his basking spot right now.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'd just handle him mostly in + around the cage as needed, but not much out of the tank , and only carefully and near the floor where he can't jump suddenly. But no, in general don't handle him too much for now.

CodyH3012

Original Poster
AHBD":1a1sg10p said:
I'd just handle him mostly in + around the cage as needed, but not much out of the tank , and only carefully and near the floor where he can't jump suddenly. But no, in general don't handle him too much for now.
here's another pic of him now, seems happy as can be on his other log. sure hope the little guy pulls through and I believe he's strong enough to do it! I'll give him some room and refraim from handling him for a day or two. is a heat pad ok for him? I know heat rocks aren't ok, but the heat pad I use for my roach colony gets about 80 degrees since I hook it up to a thermostat
http://m.imgur.com/rT4gmT8

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I think he'll be fine just the way he's been for you at night, however the temps. are normally. I'm wary of heat pads because they can all develop a hot spot. If your house temp. is in the 70's I'd just let him be. If you want to use the heat pad, put it under the glass bottom of the tank....that's just the way I'd do it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FalkorBeardie :3
Top Bottom