Baby beardie help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qagcl

Ok so I bought a bearded from the petshop I work because she was extremely young and the lights we have are horrible and she was a beautiful hypo on the verge of dying, she has to be atleast 2 months old dosent like to eat and always laying flat. Since I brought her home she's in a 10gallon(temp) cause she's extremely small with a daytime light and uvb light temps go up to atleast 100-105. I have been force feeding her small cricket and today I have her collard greens (both dusted with calcium) I give her daily baths and force her to drink a little bit of water. I've had her for 2 days and today I saw her poop but she kinda squirted it out and it came out as diarreah. Is that somethin I should be concern about or is it a good sign she's comin back to life because honestly before I bought her she practically looked dead and I took my chances buying her knowing that I had a 50/50 chance of survival FYI she's alittle more active but when she has her little bursts of energy she gets extremely tired quick sleeps for a bit and try's to waken up abit. Personally I feel as if she's tryin to come back to life I just want to know if there's any helpful tips out there that I can try to help her process of recovering.

beardieX0

If she is really skinny this could mean parasites (possibly). If she has gained weight then its probably not parasites. They will have watery poop if they have a change in diet or she could just be getting a lot of water. Any excess water will be let out since their food and water go through the same way. I would give it a couple of days and if it seems like it's not getting any better call a vet and get some advice on it. It could be more than likely the change in diet. If it is that then it will clear up in a few days.
The basking temp needs to be 100- 110 to digest properly. So if you feed her at night I would wait at least two hours before turning out the lights. This will allow her to digest before bed time! :)

beardieX0

Also, what I do with my baby beardie is give him as many crickets as he can eat in 15 mins ( I do this 3 times a day). Since she's having a hard time eating I would put her in a smaller tank with the crickets and the light above her to let her catch them. See if that'll do the trick. She could be going through brumation. Look up the symptoms and see if that fits hers.
-Do you have her on sand? If so you want to take it out and put the felt made for them at the pet store or use newspaper or paper towels. They have super bad aim as babies so, this means she could ingest the sand and it can lead to impact.
-How many times a day are you feeding?
-do you mist and bathe?

Qagcl

Original Poster
beardieX0":2w0b52rq said:
If she is really skinny this could mean parasites (possibly). If she has gained weight then its probably not parasites. They will have watery poop if they have a change in diet or she could just be getting a lot of water. Any excess water will be let out since their food and water go through the same way. I would give it a couple of days and if it seems like it's not getting any better call a vet and get some advice on it. It could be more than likely the change in diet. If it is that then it will clear up in a few days.
The basking temp needs to be 100- 110 to digest properly. So if you feed her at night I would wait at least two hours before turning out the lights. This will allow her to digest before bed time! :)

Well her being skinny I assumed it was from her nt eating cause we had her at the petshop for about a week before I took her home so I figured it was the poor diet and I never saw her eat when she was there because again the lighting was horrible and I know when they aren't in the right temps they lose appetite.

Qagcl

Original Poster
beardieX0":btduo9td said:
Also, what I do with my baby beardie is give him as many crickets as he can eat in 15 mins ( I do this 3 times a day). Since she's having a hard time eating I would put her in a smaller tank with the crickets and the light above her to let her catch them. See if that'll do the trick. She could be going through brumation. Look up the symptoms and see if that fits hers.
-Do you have her on sand? If so you want to take it out and put the felt made for them at the pet store or use newspaper or paper towels. They have super bad aim as babies so, this means she could ingest the sand and it can lead to impact.
-How many times a day are you feeding?
-do you mist and bathe?

Her substrate is just a newspaper because I know they can easily impact when they are babies and at the pet shops they had her in paper towels cause I refused to let them put her in sand. And I force feed her about 20 crickets once a day with some collard greens but I only started that today since I only bought her the day before yesterday. And I give her a bath about twice or three times a day since the first day I brought her home. And isn't she to young for brumation? She's only about 2 months old.

beardieX0

I don't think there is an age limit. None of my beardies have gone through it that young though. It's still a possibility. She may not need more than two baths a weeks plus misting 2-3 times daily. When you bath them they get a lot of water from it so maybe thats where the watery poop is coming from? Still weird that you have to force feed her. Maybe try putting her in a smaller empty tank with the crickets and see if that'll solve the force feeding. Check her stomach and see if there are black spot on it because if so that means they are stress spots and that could be why she's being a little lazy. Also, as hard as it is I would try not to handle her as much if there are dark spots on her belly.

Qagcl

Original Poster
beardieX0":1iqbj94j said:
I don't think there is an age limit. None of my beardies have gone through it that young though. It's still a possibility. She may not need more than two baths a weeks plus misting 2-3 times daily. When you bath them they get a lot of water from it so maybe thats where the watery poop is coming from? Still weird that you have to force feed her. Maybe try putting her in a smaller empty tank with the crickets and see if that'll solve the force feeding. Check her stomach and see if there are black spot on it because if so that means they are stress spots and that could be why she's being a little lazy. Also, as hard as it is I would try not to handle her as much if there are dark spots on her belly.
Ok thank you I'll minimize her bath times to 2-3 times a week and misting aswell and as for stress marks she has none, her belly is completely white. I'm hoping after awhile of me force feeding her she will finally hunt the crickets herself but today she was curious enough to lick them. So I'm happy that she seems to be improving a bit.

beardieX0

No stress marks is awesome! She was in a crapy environment so maybe she just needs some time to get used to her new awesome home :)

Qagcl

Original Poster
beardieX0":2g4qblso said:
No stress marks is awesome! She was in a crapy environment so maybe she just needs some time to get used to her new awesome home :)
Awesome ! Thanks so much I'll keep u guys updated
This is Isis by the way :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Isis is beautiful. :D
They normally don't brumate until they are around 1 year of age though they can slow down some when it turns cold at younger ages.
She also may be going through relocation stress which is very common.
Has she eaten anything yet? I am sure that as soon as she is all settled in that she will start to chase her crickets around.

Tracie

Qagcl

Original Poster
Drache613":1hqal0zm said:
Hello,

Isis is beautiful. :D
They normally don't brumate until they are around 1 year of age though they can slow down some when it turns cold at younger ages.
She also may be going through relocation stress which is very common.
Has she eaten anything yet? I am sure that as soon as she is all settled in that she will start to chase her crickets around.

Tracie
Thank you!
I've started force feeding her today but within the hour she went from no energy to being curious enough to lick the crickets when they are near her so she is slowly but surely progressing. She still hasn't actually hunted one but she's more aware of them now. :)

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, she's adorable. At only 2 months old, I wouldn't even consider brumation. If she was 6 months or older, then it might be a reason for her to be acting that way.

To help slow the crickets down to make it easier for her to catch them, you could put 1/2 dozen in a ziploc bag & place in the frig for a few minutes. Does she willingly open her mouth for you to put the crickets in or do you have to force her mouth open? Would try to not actually force her mouth open as that could stress her out and she has gone through a lot of changes recently.

If the runny poops continue, make sure she stays well hydrated & give her more frequent baths, 4 times wk until the poops firm up some. If the runny poops don't clear up, would be a good idea to get a fecal checked for parasites.

Could you fill us in on the type of thermometer you're using & the brand & type of UVB also?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am glad she seems to be feeling a little better. :D Definitely let us know how she is doing.
Maybe her appetite will come back soon. Will she eat any insects from your hand or not?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom