baby beardie HELP!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

honeypie

Hello, im a new beardie parent. I have had him since september 30th, and in the past week he has stopped eating and doesn't move around a lot. His belly looks very empty, and his eyes are always shut now. He will open them if you pick him up, but they look a little sunken in too. I have been misting him lots and trying to get some water into him. I soaked him today for about 30 minutes and he seemed to perk up a little but then went right back to being lazy, and not wanting to move around much. This is very odd for him because when i first got him he was a hungry little guy! he would eat 30 crickets in a few days and would eat greens twice a day! Now i have to force feed him just to feed him at all. i am so worried,and have no idea what to do!! I have a 40 gallon tank, with a ReptiGlo 10.0 compact 26 watt UVB bulb and a SunGlo 100 watt UVA bulb. The temperature on the basking side is around 90-95 and on the other side it stays at 80 all the time!

Am i doing something wrong??

Also, he shed a few weeks ago and is just now shedding his tail and he's onlyshed half of it... the other half is still on!

Help!

greathouseFarm

Juvie Member
Is he a baby? Do you know his age?

Are you reading your temps with a digital thermometer? You should be getting a spot temp reading right at the highest point of the basking spot. And an ambient reading on the cool side.

I think also there have been bad reports on the Reptigo 10.0 so might want to switch that out for a REptisun. One way to tell if the UV light is bothering him is to leave it off for a day or two.

If he is older he could be trying to brumate.

my1stBD

Juvie Member
Hello, im a new beardie parent. I have had him since september 30th, and in the past week he has stopped eating and doesn't move around a lot. His belly looks very empty, and his eyes are always shut now.
Compact UVB bulbs have been known to cause eye issues hence him keeping them closed, as well as they dont emit the correct amount of UVB which may be leading to the lethargy

He will open them if you pick him up, but they look a little sunken in too. I have been misting him lots and trying to get some water into him. I soaked him today for about 30 minutes and he seemed to perk up a little but then went right back to being lazy, and not wanting to move around much. This is very odd for him because when i first got him he was a hungry little guy! he would eat 30 crickets in a few days and would eat greens twice a day! Now i have to force feed him just to feed him at all.
Knowing his age would definately help, as babies up to 1 year should be eating feeders 2-3x day as many as they want within a 10-15 min timespan. This can amount to 50-100 feeders per day depending on the dragon. 30 every few days is not enough

i am so worried,and have no idea what to do!! I have a 40 gallon tank, with a ReptiGlo 10.0 compact 26 watt UVB bulb and a SunGlo 100 watt UVA bulb.
Swop out the reptiglo compact for a reptisun 10.0 linear tube, untill you do switch off the compact and see if there is improvement with his eye issue

The temperature on the basking side is around 90-95 and on the other side it stays at 80 all the time!
Again depending on age these temps could be too cold also resulting in appetite loss and lethargy. Babies need temps of 105-110F at the basking spot measured with an accurate thermometer like a temp gun or a digital thermometer with a probe, the probe placed directly on the basking spot. They need the heat to propperly digest their food and they need propper UVB to absorb the calcium as well as for ather metabolic processes like vit D conversion inside the body

Also, he shed a few weeks ago and is just now shedding his tail and he's onlyshed half of it... the other half is still on!

Help!

honeypie

Original Poster
greathouseFarm":cosb3qbn said:
Is he a baby? Do you know his age? i don't know how old he is but he is about 5 1/2 inches so im thinking about two months but i don't know exactly.

Are you reading your temps with a digital thermometer? You should be getting a spot temp reading right at the highest point of the basking spot. And an ambient reading on the cool side. Im reading it with an analog thermometer.
I think also there have been bad reports on the Reptigo 10.0 so might want to switch that out for a REptisun. One way to tell if the UV light is bothering him is to leave it off for a day or two. I think im going to go get a reptisun today, and see if that helps im really worried. I have also been told to try and feed him baby food without spinach, do you know anything about that or if it would help?
If he is older he could be trying to brumate.

honeypie

Original Poster
my1stBD":1xcrlygy said:
Hello, im a new beardie parent. I have had him since september 30th, and in the past week he has stopped eating and doesn't move around a lot. His belly looks very empty, and his eyes are always shut now.
Compact UVB bulbs have been known to cause eye issues hence him keeping them closed, as well as they dont emit the correct amount of UVB which may be leading to the lethargy

He will open them if you pick him up, but they look a little sunken in too. I have been misting him lots and trying to get some water into him. I soaked him today for about 30 minutes and he seemed to perk up a little but then went right back to being lazy, and not wanting to move around much. This is very odd for him because when i first got him he was a hungry little guy! he would eat 30 crickets in a few days and would eat greens twice a day! Now i have to force feed him just to feed him at all.
Knowing his age would definately help, as babies up to 1 year should be eating feeders 2-3x day as many as they want within a 10-15 min timespan. This can amount to 50-100 feeders per day depending on the dragon. 30 every few days is not enough-- im guessing he is about twomonths oldbut i don't know for sure! he is about 5 1/2 inches.

i am so worried,and have no idea what to do!! I have a 40 gallon tank, with a ReptiGlo 10.0 compact 26 watt UVB bulb and a SunGlo 100 watt UVA bulb.
Swop out the reptiglo compact for a reptisun 10.0 linear tube, untill you do switch off the compact and see if there is improvement with his eye issue

The temperature on the basking side is around 90-95 and on the other side it stays at 80 all the time!
Again depending on age these temps could be too cold also resulting in appetite loss and lethargy. Babies need temps of 105-110F at the basking spot measured with an accurate thermometer like a temp gun or a digital thermometer with a probe, the probe placed directly on the basking spot. They need the heat to propperly digest their food and they need propper UVB to absorb the calcium as well as for ather metabolic processes like vit D conversion inside the body

Help!

greathouseFarm

Juvie Member
5 1/2" from nose to tail? That is too small to even be sold. Did you buy him from a breeder that you can talk to?

Leave the UV light off for the day and see what happens. Still leave his heat lamp on. And yes a digital probe thermometer to read the spot temp.

If you want to offer him some chicken baby food (1st stage gerber) with a syringe (needle-less) This can help to jump start his eating but you need to look at the cause. Given his size I would be prepared for the worst and contact whomever you got him from right away.

Let us know...

honeypie

Original Poster
greathouseFarm":132a1o2y said:
5 1/2" from nose to tail? That is too small to even be sold. Did you buy him from a breeder that you can talk to?
----No i bought himfrom PetSmart

Leave the UV light off for the day and see what happens. Still leave his heat lamp on. And yes a digital probe thermometer to read the spot temp.-- i turned the UV light off and the temperature in there is about 95 right now.

If you want to offer him some chicken baby food (1st stage gerber) with a syringe (needle-less) This can help to jump start his eating but you need to look at the cause. Given his size I would be prepared for the worst and contact whomever you got him from right away. -----I have been feeding him sweet potato gerber food but he isn't taking in much. I can't contact PetSmart(i work there) because so far they have told me the wrong info and i don't trust them anymore even though i work there.

Let us know...

greathouseFarm

Juvie Member
See if he improves after sometime without the UV on. Sorry to hear that, maybe you can become an advocate to PetSmart for better information ;)

Roguebaby

I got mine at Petsmart too and he is only 4 1/2 inch. Had him for a month.... guess they just sell them when they are really small.
Good luck with yours

honeypie

Original Poster
Well, I took Orbison to the vet tonight, and he has a parasite. The vet gave him some medicine and gave me some powdered food to force feed him. It's looking like he's going to be okay, but i have to watch him carefully and take him back to the vet next week sometime! I will keep updating this on his condition!

greathouseFarm

Juvie Member
Oh yeah but still change his bulb and get a digi thermometer. Parasites generally can only take over when they have a compromised immune system which could be caused by stress or improper temps.

honeypie

Original Poster
Well just to update Orbi woke up this morning and was starving! he ate at least 8 crickets for now(which i think is good for the moment because he hasn't eaten anything in two weeks except what ive force fed him) and is taking a nap... he seems to be doing SO much better! I switched his lights out for a zoo medpowersun 160 wattI amso glad i took him to the vet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FalkorBeardie :3
Top Bottom